Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Word 95 .doc to Acrobat 2.1 Compatible PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikasc

Programmer
Mar 26, 2001
US
My objective is to programatically convert Word 95 Documents to Acrobat 2.1 compatible PDF using VB. I have experimented using both, Distiller and PDF Writer.
1. When using PDF Writer: I am able to convert programatically and view the documents using Acrobat Reader 2.1. Unfortunately the landscape pages in the original word document show up as portrait in the resulting PDF.
2. When using Distiller, I am unable to view PDF's using Acrobat Reader 2.1 created programatically using Distiller. I get an error message "Unrecognized token 'gs' was found". If I convert manually using distiller, I am able to view the documents using Acrobat Reader 2.1 without any errors.
Here is what I need from you:
1. If I have to resort to PDF Writer to do the conversion, how to fix the problem where landscape pages in the original document are switched to portrait pages in the resulting PDF.
2. A recommendation on the best way of converting word 95 documents to Acrobat 2.1 compatible PDF's programatically using VB. (i.e. settings for acrobat
2.1 compatibility in PDF Maker or job options or both etc.)
3. Where can I find documentation about the settings in the __PDF.INI file for programmatic conversion to PDF format on Windows NT.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Vikas Chopra

Hello Vikasc,

I am looking for something that you have accomplished.. I am looking how to convert an doc file to an pdf file programmatically.. Can u let me know how to do this and provide me some sample code if u have please....

Thanks,
Suresh

There are many ways to programatically create a PDF file from a doc file. Probably the most convenient way to do this is to either use the Acrobat Distiller or the Acrobat PDF Writer. You don't need to use Adobe's object model to perform this task. All you need is the necessary components from Adobe installed on your machine... Then use the Word object model to open the file and Print it. What are your version requirements? (i.e. the output PDF file have to confirm to a certain version or the Word files are of a certain version etc.?).

The word file version is 2000 and i need to convert it to pdf 4.0/4.05 Version. Can u provide me some sample code..

Is it possible can i create a pdf file programatically without using any word file. I know what the text/picture has to be in the pdf file. help me out...

Thanks,
Suresh

hi vikasc,
I need to convert the Powerbuilder reports into PDF,PROGRMATICALLY. Any tips and code snippets are welcome from you at rvjeyalaxmi@hotmail.com.
bye,
jay.

Does anyone know who the major players are in making pdfs dynamically? Does Adobe have a program which can do this?
I am talking about database driven content on the web, directly converted into pdf......??
anyone ??? What about Adobe...? So they have a product?
If so, how does it work.....?

I would appreciate any help .....

[:eek:>-<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back