Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting: VFP REPORTS to WORD or HTML 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docpro777

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
US
What an awesome idea, were it only feasible!

I know we can convert tables directly to html, make WORD COM wrapper classes for our memo fields, etc., based on the knowledge base data.

... but can VFP reports (somehow) be converted to (editable) WORD or html files with on-the-fly data? Can our data soar to this new height, somehow ?

If not VFP reports, what about Crystal Reports ?

(Any sort of feedback is welcome)

Philip M. Traynor, DPM

Docpro777,

Look at thread184-533299 to see a freeware class called frx2wrd. Pay close attention to the posts there by fabiov since he's the programmer who actually maintains it...it will generate output in DOC, HTML, and RTF formats from your existing FRX files.

For a more commercial approach there is FRX2ANY (I think that's what it is called anyways. Do a search on Google for it. I've never used it, but some tell me it's nice. For smaller reports frx2wrd works just fine for me.

How do I use it, well recently I created a custom toolbar that I put up when the user previews one of the applications reports and it has a drop down list of the available export choices and then a button that says "Export". It then uses the frx2wrd class to create the output the user has selected.

You may also try to use the Keyword Search capability available in this forum to search for information regarding HTML and/or WORD export ability for VFP reports and you should fine some fine fodder for reading.

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Thanks (my friend) for your fast and furious thoughtful feedback. I'll try to let you know how far these leads take me. (I'm probably more apt to go the non-commercial route at my aspiring level.)

Philip M. Traynor, DPM

Slighthaze,

I tried Frx2any which looked great at first than crashed repeatedly, even on its own data (after crashing with my reports).

Then, I tried a couple commercial ones: The one that seemed most WYSIWYG and exquistely well written has been "frx2any". I recompiled the project in VFP 8 after its VFP 7 version was recently released (July 16). It works great for WORD, HTML, and even PDFs for all but the most complex of bitmapped reports.

It does seem quite impressive.

Philip M. Traynor, DPM

Docpro777,

When you say that Frx2any crashed repeatedly, I am assuming you meant Frx2wrd - what do you mean by crashed? Was it freezing up or some type of error?

I appreciate the feedback on Frx2Any, I will have to give it a shot and see what all the hubbub is about regarding it one of these first days. How was the speed with it?

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

The biggest problem I have seen with Frx2Wrd is caused by users thinking that it has finished running and then immediately trying to open the document in Word. That'll usually cause the VFP app to crash.

The trouble is that Frx2Wrd is synchronous, so you have no opportunity to display a progress message or a check for completion. Also, it can take quite a long time to run, so users don't realise it is still running when they open the doc.

Apart from that, it does its job well.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Mike and Slighthaze,

I'm sure what Mike says is more succinct; the crashes are Windows exception crashes in my case (XP-p). But I recommend the versatility of the 'new' Frx2Any (which you presently need to recompile if using VFP-8).

As for speed, its about the same (methinks) as the Frx2Wrd.

Philip M. Traynor, DPM

Hi Doc....or should I say... what's up Doc (sorry... just could not resist!)

Just to add one more "find" to this excellent list....

I found this in the VFP ZONE downloads section of the UniversalThread...

XFRX - Converts VFP Reports to PDF, Word and HTML July 13, 2003
New version (6.0) - A lot of new features were added - new output target - MHT, _PAGETOTAL variable is now supported in all VFP versions, JPG pictures in general fields are now supported, Word documents can be password protected, and more. This tool transforms VFP reports to PDF, Word and HTML documents. Exporting to PDF doesn't require any special printer driver or third-party tool. The document is generated directly from VFP. The advantage of this approach is that you have full control over th

Anyway..... you might want to check it out.

Best to you.

Tom Gahagan
tgahagan@charter.net

Alliance
Computer Solutions

"Music, like sex, is much to important to be left to professionals."
Robert Shaw

edrest,

Is that Freeware or Shareware? If it is the latter then how much does it cost?

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483

ajaznazeer,

just tried to go to it brought up a login screen for username and password???

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483

I have purchased the product from eques.com. It's great. I think it was about $200

Within an hour I had my reports capable of being exported to MS Word. PDF, or HTML

Kevin Cotter
Byron schools

Thanks all for your feedback:

It appears that Eqeus and Frx2Any are both very powerful commercial products. I think I had some trouble with Eqeus' use of page views for end-users (and myself) to want to accomplish the straitforward conversion processes.

Wherein I navigated quickly, sleekly, and smartly on Frx2Any's beautiful interface and got it up and converting fast, with progress bar even. I suggest you experiment with it before you actually buy either one (and let me know).

Frx2Any's Evaluation version (free) does it all: Word, PDF, Html, and even Excel.
Single user was about $60. Royalty free distribution was about $400, if I remember.

I just used it to modify complex medical invoices on the fly with very pleasing results.

Philip M. Traynor, DPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back