Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting VB App Eng Version to multilingual version

Status
Not open for further replies.

spradeepraj

Programmer
Apr 13, 2001
IN
Dear All,
Anybody knows what are all things to be consider while converting english version of VB Application to multilingual version and any suggestion on how to do this in best way.

Thanks
Pradeep mail me : spradeepraj@dsqsoft.com
Delphidhasan

-Use a resource file for all captions, messages, etc.

-Watchout for some icons and pictures which may have a different meaning in a foriegn country

-Allow enough space for the text portion of a lable or caption as the translated text from english to some other language may take up to twice as much space.

-Always use date/number variables for user input, or always convert text input to these variable types before using them

-Hard Code values always in US format

-Use the VAL() function only when you are interested in returning whole numbers.

-Pass decimal numbers and dates to a SQL statement only in US format.

Hi,

All of our applications are multilingual and we use resource files which we can switch in and out depending on which language we want to compile for.

It requires a different mind-set in designing programs though, you typically design forms without any text in the labels, on buttons and so on, and then set the text for the labels, buttons etc. as the form loads:

Eg:

In Form_Load:
Command1.Caption = LoadResString(100)

In Resource file:
#define Form1_Command1 100
STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE
BEGIN
Form1_Command1 "OK"
END

When you want to do a new translation, just give the resource file to a translator and you'll get the Spanish equivalent of OK against Form1_Command1, and "Olé" on your OK buttons (apologies to any Spanish readers, I don't know what OK is in Spanish - probably OK!).

- Andy.

Andy

Sorry to revive the thread but when you refer to a translator are you referring to the variety with two legs, vocal chords and fingers that type or a neat tool that will automatically create a string table in a new language from one you have set up in English?

Is there any similar translation software available?

Hi,

Yes, I was referring to a human translator!

I'm sure there are tools for doing automatic translations, in fact most search engines offer translation as a service, but in all cases they still require a native speaker to check the translation.

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back