Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting USB to CAT-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

smasher2000

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
US
I have a friend that just purchased a new satilite cable modem (AOL) - downstream cable, upstream 56k analog. The modem plugs directly into the computer via the USB port. We want to connect the cable modem into a router so we can share the connection to the rest of the network. How can we do this using the existing USB connection?

Is there a USB to CAT-5 converter?

We have looked at routers that have USB connecters on them, but that is for PC/laptops to connnect to the router via their USB, not a cable modem's input.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thank you

P.S. Cable and DSL are not avalible to them - the satilitemodem only comes USB - we would prefer not to use proxy software.

Why dont you install a few NICs, you can usually get them cheap, and use Internet Connection Sharing that comes with Windows?

I saw in the store the other day a USB to RJ45 "hub"/"router".. Netgear?? I dont think it was linksys.. I'll try to find some more info on it.

MikeS

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thank you Zorlod and Wybnormal for responding.

Zorlod, Internet Connection Sharing is a type of proxy software, and as stated, we would prefer not to use this software. And just to clearify, as stated above, we currently have a network with a router, however I did not state that we are using CAT-5 cables with network cards.

Wybnormal, I contacted Netgear after reading your post, the technical and sales departments both said they do not have a product that supports USB host devices (cable modems)- so the router you seen was probably the same type I remarked about - the USB port goes to the computer.

I thank you [both] for responding, and appreciate the good idea.

Here is an interesting thread I found... it makes me wonder if you could not make the serial adapter and then feed the serial signal to a router via the AUX port or a standard serial port. THis is *Not* plug and play ;-)

MikeS

At 10:23 AM -0800 2/22/01, Christopher McCrory wrote:

> > I handle all the Cisco routers/switches/FW/LD, etc. To setup/update a
> > router you first use a serial cable into the console port. ( I'm
>> assuming you don't do much with routers). On the router side the
>> connection is a RJ45 connector (same as eithernet). On the PC side
> > this generally connects to the DB9 serial connector.

>Basically I need a USB <-> RJ45 cable. This connects to the
>equipment using a standard terminal program at 9600-8-N-1 .

What you need is a USB to serial adapter. Keyspan make a nice one
< their Twin Serial adapter gives you 2 Mac
style serial ports. Then you'll need the right cable to connect the
Mac style mini-Din8 to the DB9 on the router. (These are quite
common, though it is possible to get one which is wired up backwards,
if it has the right gender of DB9 it should work.)

They also have a &quot;PDA Adapter&quot; which gives you a DB9 socket, this
might also work. Again you'll need the relevant serial cable.

> Do I need to worry about volts/amps? ( I know almost nothing
>about electricity ) Can I just take a USB mouse and cut the mouse
>off? I also have a USB cable for a modem. It is USB (flat) to USB
>(square). I also don't know what the different ends are called. If
>I cut off the square end and attach a RJ45 conector am I OK? Are
>the wires inside color coded? Is there a USB cable standard color
>code?

You also know nothing about USB. USB cables and serial cables are
totally not compatible. They use totally different signalling. You're
unlikely to hurt the router doing this, RS232 is quite robust. You
may blow up the USB port if you tried it though.
--
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Here is something that might be what you want...

Belkin USB Ethernet Adapter

AT A GLANCE

Belkin Model:F5U011

USB Connection to Internet

Data Transfer of up to 12 Mbps

Does not use an IRQ, no expansion cards needed

Works with any 10Base-T Ethernet Network

Incorporates USB and 10Base-T (RJ45 TP) Ethernet Port

Compact and Portable

Connect or disconnect to the network without restarting

Supports Windows 95, 98, 2000

&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Wybnormal, first let me say thank you once again for helping me with this situation.

I looked up both of these ideas, but I'm not sure if they will work. The serial adapter thing (keyspan.com) looked promising, until I started reading the description - it takes up to two Mac serial devices and translates them to USB - I need the other way around first off - secondly I don't have any Mac's - but I like the idea, and have e-mailed Belkin to see if they make such a beast. Secondly, the Belkin F5UO11 adapter is portrayed incorrectly on that page - its another CAT-5 to USB converter - its also outdated and has been replaced by adapter F5U111.

If by chance you see that I'm interpiting these things incorrectly - just tell me to and read it again. X-)

I was just searching on a bunch of different ways I could think of to come up with the adapter. I cant believe that someone has not built on yet. ANohter source whichI have not yet looked at is a company called &quot;Blackbox&quot;. They made their name coming up with all sorts of wierd adapters and trinkets like this.

MikeS &quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Like wybnormal said. Try blackbox. They may also be able to make what you want. They do lots of custom cables.

CarlS

I've got a Linksys Router, b something 31 - 3 ethernet and a USB. Another ethernet connects to my cable modem.

The ethernet is great but can't get the USB to work. Ethernet is the way forward for networking, none of this failed p'n'p business.

Leon

I don't remember where but I swear i've seen them somewhere. i think it might have been &quot;best buy&quot; but not for sure. but i have seen them and thought to myself that that was a awesome thing to have. sorry i couldn't help anymore. :(

Ivan

The issue here is not &quot;converting&quot; USB to ethernet since that alone will not solve the problem.

Since only one side of the data &quot;conversation&quot; is coming from the satellite the only way to share this type of internet connectivity is by using a PC connected to both the satellite (downstream) and a phone line (upstream) as a proxy.

On the other hand there are some &quot;two way&quot; satellite ISPs and some of their boxes actually had ethernet &quot;hidden&quot; inside:

(StarBand Communications Inc. Has about 40,000 subscribers and has been operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since May 2002.)

oh yeah I forgot about the download/upload. you will not be able to do what you are wanting unless you use one pc as the proxy server and/or use internet sharing. think about it.... you would need that many more phone lines so you could upload with every pc!

you will need to set-up your one pc as the proxy or host and connect all of your computers to one router or hub and share the connection that way. that is unless you can find a router or hub that will &quot;dail out&quot; JUST to upload data and recieve data through braodband. that does not exsist as far as i know (why would it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back