Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting .TPS Files to MS-Access or XML 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbtest5

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2002
IN
Hi all,

I have several .tps files that I need to convert into MS-Access 2000 and XML format. But I do not know anything about .TSP. I would appreciate if I get the following information:

1. How do I convert the .tps files into Access and XML?
2. What editor can be used to see/read the .tps files?
3. Can I use Visual Basic 6.0 to read these .tps files and for this what driver is required and where do I get that?
4. Is anything possible without any third party drivers?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
VJ

The file format for the TPS structure has not been published. An ODBC driver is available from the vendor and is sold in multi-packs not single seats. Even then the files may be owner encrypted and not accessible without a "password". It is easier (and often quicker and less costly) to contact the original developer/publisher and ask about export options.

HTH

Yeah, great. What if the original developer is disgruntled and uncooperative? Did Topspeed every consider this? I'm sure they did and I'm sure a lot people shell out money for something they may only need once. There ought to be a law forcing them to publish their structures.

So, anybody here want to be super nice and let me email them some TPS files and return them to me in DBF format?

Say what you want about xBase, at least it's OPEN!!!

If the Customer has the TOPSCAN.exe utility program (which allows you to browse the data files), it has an export option you can use i.e. if you looking for one-time conversion to ASCII files. You can of course convert the ASCII files later into MS-Access.

There is also a freeware utility written in Clarion called XSCAN written by Vadim Berman which allows you to copy between files. You could check that out. The website is and the contact e-mails are info@ and support@
To use this program the file structure should be available in an ASCII file.

Dear ShankarJ,
I am trying to find either the Topscan.exe (the client does not have it in the program they have) or the Xscan program.Do you know how I can get ahold of one of these?

I tried downloading the Xscan but they did not send it. Can you recommend another site I can go to? I need to do a one time conversion of a program that was written in TPS files.

Thanks!

You can respond to kimster5@pacbell.net

Dear all,
I've opened the *.tps file with TopSca, but I can find "Export" menu item from the menu of TopScan program. Please help me.

Everything but Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back