Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting to Windows..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjcoats

Programmer
Aug 26, 2002
US
I know this subject has popped up before, but no real current responses have been posted.

What is the Best Way to convert Clipper 5.2e for MSDOS to a more Windows Interface, that may allow me to use Comm Ports in NT/2000, etc?

We are trying to get away from Dos Apps (although Dos is very stable). Its a management decision.

Is Xbase ++ by Alaska the best? Are there others?
I'd like to do a "conversion", then upgrade to a more gui interface as time goes on.

Thanks for any replies. Im pretty new here.
Rj

I think, by doing an AskJeeve, I came across the answer in this forum. i Get the idea, that Xbase++ or CA VO are the best. If you have any better idea's, I'd be happy to hear them. OR.. If I'll still have a problem with comm ports in NT/2000 I'd also like to know.

Thanks in advance.
Rj

No think more ... !!!!!

The very best choice for convert Clipper 5.2e for MSDOS to a more Windows Interface is Fivewin (
Fivewin (FW) is the fastest and easiest way to build bussiness applications for microsoft windows (95,98,ME,2000,NT and XP) using CA-Clipper technology (16 bits) and Habour Technology (32 bits)

FW+Clipper is 20 times more fastest than MS-Access
FW+Clipper is 15 times more fastest than MS-Foxpro
FW+Clipper is 10 times more fastest than MS-VisualBasic
FW+Clipper is 05 times more fastest than Delphi

If you want, make a download of my commercial insurance broker application (demo) made with Clipper+Fivewin and work in all Windows Plataform from
just enter your personal info. (Name,Company,Phone (opt),email (opt),web (opt),why download?)

Thats all

Sorry my bad english

Jesus Tarre
jesustarre@cantv.net
Maracaibo, VENEZUELA

Jesus,
Thanks. I'll check into that also.
I am doing some up front research with this, and have less than a year to come up with the solution.

I love the internet forums. Make my life so much easier.
Thanks again.
Rj

What do you wish to do via the comm ports? It seems that one can read them quite well through clipper via a nHandle := fopen("COM1", FO_READONLY), but the writng is a problem. However, using mode LPT3=COM1, and then writing to lpt3 works to send information out. This may help if your communications needs is not two way read/write through a com port...

I use a Thermal Printer (label Printer) on the comm ports.
One way communication (I send.. It gets.. I dont wait on reply from printer).. On the LPT.. I just print reports, basic text.

NT didnt let me do this.

Thanks
Rj Rj Coats
Computer Programmer/Technician
Hot Springs, AR.

Rj

I have several Biochemistry, Haematology and Hormone analysers connected on NT and W2K based PC's with masses of data going both ways with my Clipper 5.01a/Tools II programmes and I've had no comms problems at all. Windows 98 has a problem with powersaving and comm ports in DOS but but there is a reg fix for that in the FAQ section here. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Rj
If you use a 'set device to print, set printer to com1' approach, or a 'nHandle := fopen("com1"); fwrite(nHandle, data)' approach, you could get away by redirecting output on lpt ports (without migrating your app!).
1) change com1 in the set printer to command, or the fopen function, to lpt2, or lpt3. (you can do this even if the machine lacks a physical lpt2 or lpt3 port on win2000 and xp - but not windows98)
2) on the dos command prompt command line enter the following command: 'mode lpt2=com1'
3) do the normal mode com1:96,n,8,1,p etc.
4) run your clipper app - all output directed at lpt2 prints on a printer connected to com1!!

Boss - could you post relevent code snippets on the forum? Maybe you have something we are overlooking? On Win2K and XP any traditional Fwrite() calls I dfo returns ferror() 5 Access denied. I have not checked to see what the routines using proper clipper tools functions for accessing the com ports does though. Maybe they work - I am scared to check and the users have not yet complained...

This is Great Info.. I have not yet started to convert, but I am saving this link for when I do.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.
Rj Rj Coats
Computer Programmer/Technician
Hot Springs, AR.

Jacques,

I really don't do anything special, mostly com_open, com_init and com_read, nothing fancy at all.

I programme and test on a W2K PC and have no problem with FWrite(), its and integral part of many of my procedures, it's hard to know what the problem is with your system. You have not got a permissions problem? Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Boss
I have also concluded it to be a permissions problem - but have no idea how to fix it! I am a local administrator on my own machine, but have no such rights on the domain. Maybe the domain rights is the problem, or is there a way to change the access to com ports alone?

If you are administrator on your local machine then you should have access to your own comm ports by default.

You could write a "quick and dirty" programme to send an receive data over a null modem cable from one port to the other, just to check that ports work. If it doesn't work in Windows, stick it on a bootable DOS or Win 95/98 disk and try it. A least you'll know that the hardware is working.

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Thank you Ian - will do that sometime. I have opened a dos window 'as administrator', and when I try the fwrite then I get no ferror() - ie zero - but my com printer also did not respond. But it works fine via the lpt port as described above. (We have had the same sort of problem on many win 200 and xp machines - so though I buy the configuration issue theory I do not believe the hardware is defective.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back