Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting to long date in MSSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuovo2004

Programmer
Jun 9, 2004
CA
Hi All,
This is probably a simple one but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the posts.
I'm making a report using MSSQL reporting services and I'd like to insert a field displaying the current date in a specific format (e.g. August 2, 2004)
I followed some threads here and came up with the following:
SELECT CONVERT(varchar, getdate(), 107) as CurrentDate.
In this case, I get CurrentDate = Jun 25, 2004. Format 107 was the closest thing I could find in books online.
I'd like the month to be full text 'June' and not abbreviated 'Jun'.
Suggestions?
Thanks.

I devised an ugly manual way to do it but I'm hoping something better will come along:
/*---------------------------------------*/
Declare @Curmonth as varchar(10)
Declare @CurDay as varchar(2)
Declare @CurYear as varchar(4)
Set CurMonth = datename(month,getdate())
Set CurYear = datename(year(getdate())
Set CurDay = datename(day(getdate())
Select @CurMonth + space(1) + @CurDay + ',' + space(1) + @CurYear
/*---------------------------------------*/
Output is 'June 25, 2004' but I am concerned that this date format is only correct due to my system settings. I'd like to explicitely dictate that month is alpha, day is dd and year is yyyy.

You could also bypass the DECLAREs and SETs and just go for:
Code:
Select datename(month,getdate())
     + ' ' 
     + datename(day,getdate())
     + ', ' 
     + datename(year,getdate())

Thanks

J. Kusch

Disclaimer: I work more in Access than in SQL, for now.

You might try:

Select DateName(month,getdate()) + ' ' + DatePart(day,getdate()) + ', ' + DatePart(year,getdate()) as CurrentDate

HTH,
Bob [morning]

Much cleaner guys, thanks.
One last thing, will this be a standard date format across all machines regardless of date and time preferences?

Actually JayJusch's version was successful but Bob's wasn't.
When I execute the query using the DateName and DatePart functions in the same command, it get this error message:
"Server: Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Line 13
Syntax error converting the nvarchar value 'June ' to a column of data type int."
If I run the statement using only DateName functions I get the correct string.
Perhaps I need to convert the output of datepart(day(getdate()) to varchar before adding it to the string?

Try ...

Code:
Select (datename(month,getdate())
      + ' ' 
      + datename(day,getdate())
      + ', ' 
      + datename(year,getdate()) ) as 'CurrentDate'

Thanks

J. Kusch

Since Jay's answer works...

SQL doesn't like mixing the string output of DateName with the integer output of DatePart. I thought DateName(Day... would return Friday instead of 25. Good deal - I'm smarter than I was a few minutes ago!

Bob

Both of your queries work Jay.
Thank you.

MSSQL reporting services is an interesting tool. As I familiarize myslef with it, I'll be sure to add any insight I gain to this site.

Just so you know, if you're using Access and the query is being performed by the Access engine, then you can do

Format(Date,"mmm dd yyyy")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back