Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting to Fat32 in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Center

Programmer
Oct 19, 2002
US
I am very happy with Win95, but when an update required Win98, I used system commander to divide C: and put part with each operating system(95,98) and have used that for a while.
But S.C. put Win98 in a partition formatted as fat. There is a Win98 convert-to-fat32 program in Accessories, and I would enjoy the extra space. It warns it ruins MS dual boot, but would guess it doesn't ruin anything with S.C.
Anybody want to guess?
I'm not wanting to spend a lot of time reloading programs, and I had some problems with the win98 CD the first time
maybe I can't solve again. The Win95 CD requires I pull all my drives and boards and reformat the whole drive.

Partition Magic Pro 7. Don't touch 8.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

No you can't dual boot Win98 and WinNT, once you Fat32, and only Win95 OSR2 can read FAT32...It's really not a good idea to try it.

If you don't want to spend for Partition Magic(though it's a great tool and ditto the idea)......First
1. Do you want to go to full 98?
2. Do you have win98 CD-Rom (OEM version preferably)?
3. How big is your drive?

Partition Magic will enable you to have complete control over your partitions and allow you to revert backwards.....unlike Fdisk(ugh!)

TekTippy4U

Do these steps (there are two different steps, try one which suits you)

First - this is if you want to keep both operating systems

Boot Into Windows 95, right click on My Computer and choose properties, you should see something like

System
Microsoft Windows 95
ver 400.9500 B or some thing but with B mentioned in the number

If you see this it means you are using Windows 95 OSr/2 or the OEM b release, then you can easily covert to FAT32 since both 95b and win98 can read fat 32 partitions.

Second - Why keep both operating systems, win95 programs run comfortable (and even better) in Win98 and it is a better OS compared to 98.

Regards.

As you're using SC as a boot manager, I'd think you'd be ok whether 98 on fat or fat32. I use to multi-boot - so don't know how SC works in this respect - would think it might need to re-establish its boot menu after the conversion, but shouldn't be a problem.

PS. As you are having to use win98 now for something - why not just use it and get rid of 95? I presume its a fairly old machine with limited disk space, so 2 similar operating systems is just a bit of an overhead.

I mentioned dual boot with NT earlier because some systems like one of mine use an NT version of Explorer.exe and to access certain LAN intended software..i.e. Internal PCI Voice Winmodem drivers,Phone/Fax Software,Sound Card drivers..you need the NT drivers.....and NTFS doesn't read FAT32 which is why you can't dual boot once converting.....

I would probably chuck 95 if your leaning towards more and more features and upgrading some components soon........or get rid of whatever needs 98 to run..

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back