Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting RTF Files with Bookmarks to PDF Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbr501

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2001
US
I have several RTF Files that contain bookmarked fields. I would like to convert these RTF Files to a PDF FORM File but the key is to have the PDF File recognize the Bookmarked fields from the RTF File as the form fields in the newly converted PDF File.

Basically, I'm trying to create a dynamic form based on the bookmarked fields in the RTF file. Is this possible? If so, how do I get the PDF File to recognize the bookmarks from my RTF as fields?

Thanks!

Hi

I shall throw caution to the wind and say that there are limitations on what the PDFwriter can convert from an RTF, and as far as I know you cannot create form fields in a PDF from a document bookmark. Bookmarks from bookmarks, yes, but form fields, no. I shall be watching this thread like a hawk to be proved wrong though. Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

Thanks for the feeback...this is a tricky one.

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I could create a PDF form dynamically?

Would it be possible to read in data from a table into a PDF as a variable then have the PDF recognize these values as form elements? The values in the table would represent the fields that I want on my form. This way I could still create my forms dynamically based on the values I pass it from the table?

Another thought....

What if I take my RTF and convert it just a Word File. Then convert the Word File to PDF. Would Acrobat recognize the bookmarks then?

There must be some way to have it recognize them as form elements....help!

Thanks!

I do loads of PDF forms, and to me dynamic creation is the holy grail, and just like the holy grail I have yet to find it. If you opened or converted the document into an word doc you would still not get those fields to be converted.

I don't think we are talking about different things but I shall clarify: bookmarks and form fields are not the same. A bookmark will convert into a PDF bookmark, which will jump to the position of the bookmark in the page when used. A form field is a text box/radio button/combo etc. which is used for user interation on the PDF itself. This is just in case there are any crossed wires as you are talking about bookmarks and fields in the same way.

There are extra features with Acrobat 5 which may be available, and the PDF creation community is quite good at creating plugins and I am sure that I heard a whisper of a piece of software which could scan forms and create PDF forms from them, but it may be a myth. Go and get yourself onto the PlanetPDF forum, which is superb and very well policed by a guy called "aandi" who seems to never be away from the forum, and start to have a dig. And if you find something, set another post!

Derren
[The only person in the world to like Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back