Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Queries For Access Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

B827

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
Hi,
I have an Access Db which started life in version 2 and is now in Access97. I want to convert this to an Access Project with the data stored on SQLServer. I have a problem in that a number of the access queries use both custom and built in functions to calculate return values. Is there an easy way to convert these, or does anyone know a good source of information on how to do this?

Many thanks in advance

Sandy

Hi Sandy,
Depends on the complexity of each function. Some functions could become stored procedures while others could be turned into triggers. If the function is very complex then you will have to handle it on the client side (after retrieving the recordset as raw data).

John

John Nyhart

Hi John,
thanks for that information, I suspected that would be the case. I don't suppose you know of any text books which might speed up the learning process?

Many thanks

Sandy

Ok ....
If you are going to use SQL Server then the book that I use is:
SQL Server 2000 Developer's Guide, Osborne, ISBN: 0072125691

You might want to take a look at Chapter 17, Developing Applications Using DTS. DTS is a good tool and it's hard to find good docs about using it.

John

John Nyhart

Hi John,
many thanks I'll have a look on Amazon.

Sandy

I would convert the App to Access 2000 or 2002, whichever version you have, and then use the upsizing wizard and see what it converts for you before converting anything manually. You may be surprised how much of the App Access actually converts for you.

Thanks cmmrfrds I'll give that a try.

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back