Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting PDC to stand-alone server...Can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodLark

Programmer
Jun 6, 2000
US
We need to convert our present PDC to a stand-alone server.<br>The official Microsoft position is that this cannot be done<br>without re-installing NT Server.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, we are running SQL Server on this machine (its the reason for wanting to convert) and we do not want to have to re-install SQL Server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know if this can be done and how to do it?&nbsp;&nbsp;As an interim step, we plan to bring a new PDC on line<br>and demote the current one to BDC.

I don't know how this sounds to you but i resently encountered this, it only a suggestion.You could ask others opinion before trying it.<br><br>I think you should shut down the present PDC, <br>promote someother BDC to PDC or get another PDC online.<br>Then put on the shut down former PDC, now i don't know if there will be a conflict of some sort or if the booting up former PDC will recognise the authority of the new PDC and humbly becomes (or give you a configuration interface to make it a) BDC.<br><br>How does that sound?<br><br>---<br>ndi,<br>MCP<br>TCP/IP Administrator, Brainbench.

There is no problem demoting the PDC to BDC.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem is making the now BDC (used to be PDC) a Member Server on the domain (not a PDC or BDC).

WoodLark-<br><br>I do not think its possible.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even if you demote it to a BDC and move it into another segment/network - it will always try to search for the PDC.<br><br>If you do find a way to make this conversion, please let us know.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'd be interested in the final results.

The server vs DC choice is made at setup time only.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can't change either way once the machine is setup. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Heh, SQL on a DC?&nbsp;&nbsp;Well I will be nice.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyhow, although many will tell you of some fairy tale that they can deomte DC's to stand alones, dont listen to em.&nbsp;&nbsp;Backup your data, re-install and have a happy rest of the day knowing you performed this in the best possible way :)&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>The Geek<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

Listen to MrGeek and whoever advised you to install SQL Server on a DC? Don't install anything other than NT on this server - unless this isn't a serious database.

Listen to MrGeek! Who advised you to install SQL Server on a DC? Don't install anything other than NT on this server - unless this isn't a serious database.

It's impossible to demoting the PDC to BDC, i don't know how mr. woodlark came up with that idea????

Vraag,&nbsp;&nbsp;It is very easy to demote a PDC to a BDC.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just promote your existing BDC to PDC and the PDC is automatically demoted if it is on line.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've done it.

Hi<br><br>The only solution is to backup your data and install your windows NT on stand-alone server.<br><br>It is impossible to convert or promote your PDC to stand-alone server<br><br>demote or promote are concerning only a PDC &lt;---&gt; BDC<br><br><br>Good Luck<br>

It is very easy to change your PDC into a member server. Simply insert the NT Server disk into your CD ROM drive, restart, reformat and reinstall.<br><br>A very simple process. :) <p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

well.... i guess you got the answer.<br>RE-Install... but first see if yu can do any type of backing-up....<br>hush!<br>

You may be able to install a second instance of NT on the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Install it as a member server and configure to boot to that instance.&nbsp;&nbsp;You're joining the same domain, so a domain administrator ID should give youa ccess to the datafiles on the disks. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

MasterRacker's suggestion is the best I've heard so far.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have found a commercial software product that claims to be able to change between DC's and Member Server's (either direction).&nbsp;&nbsp;It's called U-Promote.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've looked at a demo, and it looks promising so we are ordering it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Will let you all know how it turns out.

We got U-Promote and used it.&nbsp;&nbsp;It works as advertised so the answer is YES you can convert a domain controller to a member server without reinstalling NT.

If you try using as a BDC server services will constantly broadcast as domain controller.<br>It can't be done, once a PDC allways a PDC / BDc, you need to re install NT server as a stand alone.

Keninc, sorry, but you are wrong.&nbsp;&nbsp;As described in my previous message, we used the product U-Promote to demote the server from a Domain Controller to a member server and it worked perfectly!&nbsp;&nbsp;The LAN now sees it as a member server.&nbsp;&nbsp;According to the software publisher, the reverse is also possible, but we have not tried that (YET).

<br>Woodlark, pls who publishes this wonderful program U-<br>Promote and how can I acquire it?<br>tks.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back