Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting old MS Access files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finniganps

Technical User
Feb 17, 2005
US
Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert old MS Access files to a more current version (preferably MS Access 2000)? Currently, these are Access 1.0 files running on a Windows 95 machine. When I try to open the files in Access 2000 on Windows 2000 or XP, I get the following error:

You are trying to open a read only database

The first time you open an earlier version database, you must be able to write changes to the database.
*The database files read-only attribute may be set; clear this attribute.
*You may have chosen the Open Read Only command in the Open dialog box. Don't choose this command the first time you open the database.

Does anyone have any ideas how to open and then resave these files in a current Access format? I don't see where you can change the file from read only on the Win95 file.

From Windows Explorer, right mouse click on the MDB. Then select properties. Is the attribute set to Read-only???

Also where is the MDB?? On a server?? It may be a folder rights issuse.

Let me know...

The file was on a PC, now I have it copied to a CD.

paveway - that looked like a GREAT suggestion. Unfortunately, I get the message:

This operation is not supported for Microsoft Access 1.x databases.

Any other ideas?

Copy it back to your hard drive and try again. Your CD is read only.

(1.0 files! I started on 1.1) [dazed]

If that still doesn't work try exporting the files to another format from 1.0 (if it even does that).

traingamer

traingamer - thanks for the input. When I attempted to do the export I had already copied it to the HD again..... Looks like it's a compatibility issue. I'm wondering if I reload Office 97 with Access if that will work (older version). Perhaps that version of Access will be able to convert it? I'm just not sure what else to try.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how you'd get the application / forms / macros from 1.0, but you should be able to export the data (to excel or whatever) and import that into a newer version.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

traingamer

This is quite the problem....it won't import into Excel either. Ah well, thanks for all your help folks!

Can you 'cut & paste' into excel on the '95 box? or export to .csv? You pretty much need to export the data from Access as none of your programs can import it.

traingamer

finniganps

This does look like a simple read-only issue. Have you actually put the file back onto your hard drive and checked it is read/write?

I have copies of the Access 97 help files available, as well as those for Access 2000. The Access 97 files contain a help topic called:

About converting a version 1.x or 2.0 database to Microsoft Access 97

I can't find this topic in Access 2000 help; the earliest file versions mentioned in Access 2000 help are Access version 2.0 or 95.

I think this indicates that while Access 97 could convert a version 1.x file, later versions cannot. Hence the idea of installing Access 97 on a workstation just to do the file conversions seems like a good one.

Bob Stubbs

Thanks for all the input.....I was thinking that Access 97 was going to be my best bet as well. I think I can locate a machine that still has it loaded. If I find one, hopefully it will work. Thanks again for all the input!

Hi again ... if you get stuck for Access 97, you can still see Office Professional 97 on eBay for about 25 to 30 pounds sterling.

You can still find the service packs on various web sites, or on magazine cover disks from about 1999 - 2001, if you have any of these about!

I hope your conversion is successful.

Kind regards,

Bob Stubbs

I got it to work by importing the files first through Access on Office 97. From there I imported it again to Access in Office 2000. Appears to have worked without a problem. The user will check the files and get back to me tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back