Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting numerical values to non-numerical categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilubmoney

Technical User
Nov 4, 2001
US
My company a survey in which respondents select a botton that relects the number of employees in increments (so box 1 is from 1-99, box 2 is from 100-999, box 3 is from 1000-9999, and box 4 is 10000+).

When the data was gathered, it was gathered according to which button was selected and averaged out that way (e.g. let's say in one industry, the average was 3.5, so on average, they had between 1000-9999 employees). So when I chart this data as a bar graph on Excel, the Y-axis reflects values between 1-4.

My question: is there a way to edit the Y-axis chart values manually so that the values are textual and not numerical? Keep in mind that I don't have the original values from the survey, just a table of these "button averages.

Well, I figured out how to calculate the exact numbers for each industry average, but now my problem is displaying the chart to provide uneven increments (1, 100, 1000, 10000). Help?

ilubmoney,

They are actually "even increments", factored by ten.

Create your chart. When done, select the 1,10,100 axis, select format > selected scale and check the logrithmic box and you can also adjust ticks and range to suit you.

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks so much!

One more question: in the same survey, I have questions that involve a satisfaction range from "Very Dissatisfied" to "Very Satisfied," with 0 points assigned to the former and 4 points assigned to the latter. How can I adjust the Y-axis so that its labels are "Very Dissatisfied," "Dissatisfied," etc., instead of displaying point values 0 to 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back