Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting files from Older AI to Illustrator CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekesdad

Technical User
Aug 13, 2007
US
I publish Hawaii guides and am redesigning one of my books. I have AI files created in AI 5.5 through AI 8 that I am trying to open in Illustrator CS. The original files --stored on external hard drive and zip drive-- open fine for viewing, but when I copy them to my computer for editing in Illustrator CS, I have BIG problems. When I click to open a file I am asked if it's Ok to update legacy text. I click "Update". Then a pop-up opens titled "Font problems" The doc uses fonts or characters which are not available. It asks, open document anyway?, and I click OK. The document opens but the fonts in the document are tall, very thin irregularly-shaped letters unlike any font in my folder. If I click on a text box and choose "Update", the text totally disappears. If I open 'Illustrator Menu:TYPE:Find Font", there are no fonts listed in the "Fonts in document" window.
Does anyone know what the problem is and if there is an uncomplicated way to correct it?

I'm using OSX 10.3.9

I don't understand "you have to have the fonts open then resave them". When I choose Update, the fonts totally disappear from the file image.

Thanks for any help you can give me in between our hurricane, earthquake, and tsunami watch ;-)

Sometimes you run into font mapping problems. Pre osx AI files will look for fonts in System Folder/Fonts. CS and above can look all over the place That's if you have the particular fonts on your machine. If the file has a font that's not on the machine or is not activated, you're going to have problems.

Don't try opening the files from outboard drives. Drag them to a folder on your working machine.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks for the replyjmgalvin. Much appreciated. But all my fonts are on my machine and all are activated. In newer-old AI files, the Update option words fine. Click once and it's done. I'm having problems with those that are from 1998-99.

Kinda tough if you don't know what the fonts are. Do you have any older copies of Ai that you can use to check fonts?

I have a copy of 9 that runs in classic, just in case. If you have the older version and Classic on your machine,you might try installing and see what the old files contain.

The part about fonts was not about activation. For non osx apps to see fonts, you have ot have Classic isntalled (OS9. This will be on the hard drive as "System Folder". In that you have the fonts folder, like OS9 and before. Fonts in that folder will be recognixed by both OSX apps and Classic apps. Fonts stored in other folders on your hard drive are only recognized by OSX apps.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks a million to everyone who tried to help me out.

I discovered that AI files updated in 1997 from the original 1992 files were the problem. How these got corrupted is a mystery, because they were all updated within a few days of each other, and about 20% are OK. The rest are in various states of critical disarray.

I located the original 1992 files and those all open perfectly and I have been finally getting work accomplished. I truly appreciate this forum and the generosity of those who are willing to work on problems not their own. It's very life-affirming.

Mahalo!
-Richard Sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back