Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting FAT32 to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew26

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
GB
Hi All,

Just a quick question is there a way to convert from FAT32 to NTFS within Windows 2000 - without re-formatting the laptop.

Best Regards,
A.

I've tried several programs that were designed to do this, and the only one that has worked properly was partition magic. I use version 5 and it works fine. out of over 100 conversions I've only had 1 mess up, but nothing serious. (for some resaon the partitions lost it's status as the active partition)

taken from the help function of Win XP :)

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open Command Prompt.
In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

To open command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.