Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting FAT32 to NSTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMHSC

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Would you recommend it? I don't really want to format my drive and I hear NSTF is the better choice out of the two. However, what are the side effects of converting rather than reformating?

I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I attempt to convert to NSTF.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.

there is one side issue that I know of and it deals with the default security on certain folders....maybe this was fixed in XP, but I know for sure it occurred in W2K.

For instance, if you installed the OS with the file system as NTFS everything was fine...the appropriate permissions were set on the appropriate folders. However, if you installed with FAT32 and then converted to NTFS, those permissions would not be there....leaving a big security hole. There are a couple of MS articles on this subject and a couple of tasks you can perform to recover.

As for NTFS versus FAT32, depending on how you use the box...if security is key for you then go NTFS.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back