Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting .exe to .msi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsushi

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
US
Hi,
Does anyone know any GOOD fee software that can convert .exe file to .msi files? I tried using Winstall and it doesn't work. I'm trying to push software to workstations through Active Directory.
Thanks

What doesnt work with Winstall? Did you use the version that came with Win2k Server? I just used that to create an msi to deploy files, but it is pretty functional for the lower level tasks such as inputting keys and stuff.

Right after the before snapshot it asks me to open the file to convert. Everytime I select an .exe file it says "The specified file is not a Windows .exe. Know any workarounds? I even rebooted.

I actually ended up not even using the snapshots after i found out that at least in my case it wasnt even necesarry. I simply went into the Veritas Software Console and right clicked on the "Windows Installer Package Editor" and selected New. This should get you started, it worked great for me and it even uninstalls from GPO just fine.

Good luck!

I just tried doing this but it doesn't give me an option to do any conversion from there. It has a RUN option but it seems to take a snapshot. How did you exactly avoid the snapshot process?
Thanks!

Well I am currently on a Vista machine and dont have access to it atm but it is possible that I ran a before snapshot... I know for a fact I didnt run one after, however if you choose "New", doesnt an option come up to specify your file name and the language template you want to use? I will get back to you later when I can look on an XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back