Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting .dwg files to .pdf files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am looking for a way to convert autocad .dwg file to .pdf files. I have found some software on the net, but I was curious if AutoDesk had a program or if anyone else had any suggestions.

I've had success converting my AutoCad drawings to PDF and it has kept the drawing clear for onscreen viewing and printing.

The problem I'm having is getting the PDF down to an acceptable download size. I can get the drawing down to about 250k, but would like to get it around the 100k mark.

Does anyone have any tips of things I can do in AutoCad or Illustrator to lower the file size? Also, do any of the free programs like OttoPDF help with file size?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hello,

I am an Delphi programmer. I am looking for an ActiveX control to convert AutoCad DWG to PDF format. I don't know anything about Autocad Post Script files. All I want to do is, if user select 3 DWG files, my program should automatically convert selected files to PDF format. Could anyone help me on this regard.

Thanks in Advance.
delphiuser

You could try using Voloview Express from

This is a free viewer that can be used as an ActiveX component. It supports a ShowPrintDialog method, but you would have to preset all the printer options & fake the OK button. You would also need a Windows printer that is cappable of printing PDFs, such as Distiller.

You could also look at OttoPDF from

This is a freeware converter, but its major problem is that it leaves its window open when it completes. To make this transparent, you would have to do some clever stuff with shutting it down. It may be OK on its own though.

Nick
nick.hall@altasystems.co.uk

Hi

I've a problem. How can I insert a Acrobat(.PDF) scanned file as an image into AutoCAD 2000.

You can't do insert PDFs as images directly. You will have to convert it to one of the supported image formats such as JPG, BMP etc. There are a number of conversion programs available (both free and commercial) that will do this with varying degrees of success.

You could insert it as an OLE Object, but that is not an image - all you see is an icon that you can then view in Acrobat Reader

Nick
nick.hall@altasystems.co.uk

Hi, I am just wondering if there is a converting program that converts .tif files to .dwg. THere have been plenty of conversions to convert .dwg to .tif, but no the other way. If anyone could help me out with this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

You should post this as a new thread. It should get more exposure.

Depending on how well the .tiff's are, a good (old) piece of software I use Rx SpotLight Pro 97....by RasterX Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Is there any freeware out there that I can use to do the conversion? If so can you let me know, thanks

Guys,
I just found a program that does it for you. Do a search for "Win2PDF". It installs as a printer, when you plot just plot to this printer and it will prompt you where you want to save the new "PDF drawing". After that open Adobe and open the drawing. It displays good and prints good too.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back