Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Data Types 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
NZ
All

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the data type of a text field to numeric with code. Using a create table query the destination field posesses the data type of the source field, being text. Using code I would like to convert the data type of the text field to numeric after the table has been created but can not find a solution in the help files. They only offer a create filed solution which allows one to specify the data type and size.

Yours Stumped

Richard

I haven't been able to find a way of doing this, but a workaround is to create a new field of the type you want, use an update query and the CDbl/CDate/CLong type functions to convert data between types and copy it over, then drop the original field and rename it to the original.

John

John,

As suggested I have used the CInt function in my build for the original make table query which produces a field of type number in the created table. Many thanks for the tip!

Richard

You can also do it in code:

currentdb.Execute("alter table table1 alter column myid long")

mpastore,

The following

CurrentDb.Execute ("Alter Table Deliverables alter column OutlineNumber long")

produces a 'syntax error in ALTER TABLE statement".

I cannot see where the error in the code is. Can you please debug?

Thanks

Richard

That's strange. Worked fine for me, even create a table same as yours. How are you running the code? From the command window?

Hats off to Harper

mpastore,

To clarify, which I should have earlier, a am trying to write a module that will delete a relationship, run a make table query, change the data type of one of the fields in the created table, recreate the relationship, run a select query that uses the created table and then preview a report twhich uses the select query.

Richard

ps who is harper?

Can you send me what you have so far for code?

(Roy) Harper, I'm an old Led Zep fan

Hats off to Harper

Dim dbs As Database, rel As Relation
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Dim tdf As TableDef, linktdf As TableDef
Dim fld As Field, fld1 As Field

Set linktdf = dbs.TableDefs("Task_Information")
linktdf.RefreshLink

'dbs.Execute ("Alter Table Deliverables alter column OutlineNumber long")

Set rel = dbs.Relations("DeliverablestoProjectMaster")
dbs.Relations.Delete rel.Name

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
DoCmd.OpenQuery "MilestonesbyProjects"
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

' Create new Relation object and specify foreign table.
Set rel = dbs.CreateRelation("DeliverablestoProjectMaster", "ProjectMaster", "Deliverables")
' Set attributes to enforce referential integrity.
rel.Attributes = dbRelationDontEnforce
' Create field in Relation object.
Set fld = rel.CreateField("OutlineNumber")
' Specify field name in foreign table.
fld.ForeignName = "OutlineNumber"
' Append Field object to Fields collection of Relation object.
rel.Fields.Append fld
' Append Relation object to Relations collection.

dbs.Relations.Append rel
dbs.Relations.Refresh

DoCmd.OpenQuery "DeliverablesStatusReportData", , acReadOnly
DoCmd.Close
DoCmd.OpenReport "DeliverablesStatusReport", acViewPreview

Set dbs = Nothing

As suggested earlier in the thread I have now changed the query to include the CInt function that forces the text field data type to be converted to number.

So in a way my problem has been solved but I am curious how to achieve the same result using code.

thanks again

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back