Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Crystal 9 with ttx files to Crystal XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

meryls

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
US
I currently have over 200 reports written in Crystal 9 launched from an application written in Visual Basic 6.

These reports use one or more recordsets at run time, but were created using various ttx files. The underlying database is SQL, but none of my reports have ever gone to the database directly.

We are converting this application to .NET.

The .NET developer tells me that we will no longer use recordsets and that the ttx technology is "dead".

Does anyone have experience with this same situation?

With my many and complex reports, I was hoping not to have to make changes. In my experience, I can't just point to a new data source, as the field names are tied to the ttx filename. Are there any conversion utilities out there that will preserve my formulas and data field placements?

I appreciate any help, or words of wisdom, as this will be a huge effort to re-write.

Thanks!
Meryl Smith

We replaced all of our old TTX data with Stored Procedures on the SQL database.

It was a huge job, but worth it to make things more easy to maintain.

Yes, it may be the right way to go, but when dealing with complex reports, it seems like a complete re-write. Is there any way to change your data source without having to re-position every field, change every formula and running total, and all section formatting rules? I've never foung the knack of event pointing to a different ttx filename (event with the same field names), without blowing my entire report.

Thanks for your help!
Meryl Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back