Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting CatOS to Native IOS on 6509 Sup II

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulk29

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
Hi,
can anyone advise the advantage of going from CatOS to Native IOS on a 6509 Sup II?

Also is there a dependable procedure? Is it risky?

Is there a back out procedure if it goes wrong?

Any tips are most appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

The main advantage is the single CLI to configure both the Layer-2 and Layer-3 features. This makes it similar to nearly all the other Catalyst switching platforms so your configurations are common. Plus it seems Cisco are putting more effort into developing IOS more than CatOS.

There is a tool on CCO for doing the conversion but in my experience it is probably better to re-write the configuration yourself. If you are familiar with 2950/3550/3560 etc then it should be quite easy. QoS can be tricky since none of the platforms have many similiarities - especially egress queuing.

HTH

Andy

I've done most of my conversions on the 720 sups, but I believe they are pretty much the same procedures, just diff IOS versions.

The CCO tool on cisco never worked very well for me, i allways ended up doing a manual config conversion.

The best way I believe is to do the conversion on a seperate pair of sup engines. If you have to back out all you will need to do is pop back in the old sups.

The conversions doc on cisco is pretty good, but you beed to follow it step by step. An after your done, I would suggest you reformat the bootflash, something the doc doesn't mention, if I recall correctly.

Please keep posted on this, I am also interested in converting our Cat 6509 from CatOS to IOS.

Thanks.

Guys,
I did the CatOS to IOS conversion using the Cisco doc and it all went fine. I would advise using a Flash Card or PCMCIA card to load the new image rather than TFTP or FTP. Also make sure you change where to boot your image from i.e. bootvar.

Regards

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back