Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting access version 97 to version 2002 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack2

Instructor
Mar 12, 2003
US
I am converting several access version 97 databases to access version 2002. I am the admin in all of the db's. When I try to convert, it tells me I do not have permissions, Even though I am the admin. Please help, the company is moving over to XP next week!!!!!
THANKS!!

You could try making a copy of the database and then try converting the copy over. Maybe even take all of the security off of the copy and see if that will work.

Walt III
SAElukewl@netscape.net

Thanks for your reply. To get into the database, we use a shortcut, that references the database and the wbs security file. So, when you say remove security, do you mean remove all of the users permissions? Then convert. Then after the convertion, add the permissions again?
Thanks again for your help

What you should do is log on as the 'owner' of the database.
To figure out who the 'owner' is, go to
Tools->Security->User and Group Permissions,

then go to the "Change Owner" tab,

then select "database" as the Object Type

Then the "Current owner" will be listed.

Now, log into the database as the "current owner" of the database, and try the conversion again. If you don't have the password for the "current owner", well, you should.

If everything keeps failing, you need to strip all security out of the database in order to do a successful conversion. The easiest way is to export all database objects out to a new database file--when they are copied into the new database, their specific permissions are stripped, thus effectively removing security.

Thanks foolia12, I did do that. I went to view all of the objects, and I was not the owner for all of the objects. So I made myself the owner. Then I tried to convert again, and it still did not let me. I may end up exporting all of the objects. I will keep the update the thread. Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back