Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting Access backend to MSSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

markphsd

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
I have a quick easy question:
I have a couple of back ends that connect to one front end.
If i Upsize my backend from access to MSSQL Server, will I, or can I continue to use the Access mdb file? Or will I have to convert it to adp.

The reason I ask this is one of the back ends is a small printersetting.mdb, stored on each computer, that just holds local printersettings for each computer. It's very helpful and effective. I would like to use both as servers for the "client/server solution".

Or would I have to create a set of tables in the main back end that would hold user computer settings. Which isn't a bad idea, now that i've thought if it. Mark P.

Bleh

IMHO, if you are going to convert your Access database to MS SQL, then why not go all the way and, as you've pointed out, set up the printer information in a table (or tables) in the MS SQL database. If your users have a truly local printer (as in, one that is hung off their desktop computer) then you could add that information with a tag to their computer. At the same time, you could add information on any network printers and offer those as an alternative when the user prints.

yes you can still use Access

set up the sql database as a local odbc source then Link to odbc data source instead of to the mdb.

May I ask why the need for storing the print settings?

What doe sit offer over using the page/ print setup in Access?

Sean.

Yeah,

Thanks for the response.

Okay. I shouldn't have bothered posting. I figured it out as I wrote, i could have stopped there. So I just decided to find out what the answer would be on the inclusion of mdb files. I was also curious to see if anyone else had any similiar instances.

You see, the other reason for using an mdb was, I use the FAQ on here that checks and distributes new versions of the front end. This requires a .mdb, since there is a table in the client mdb. Oh, once again i figure out something as I write. I guess I could use a txt file or something, and parse it or whatever people do to get information out of .txt files. But since I can use .mdb files i'll probably have local one that just holds the version info.

Perrymans,

The reason I store printer settings is because:
We run a lot of medical form driven reports. They often go to specific printers, to add to that, in each department they have their own specific printers(about 10 printers i have to deal with); so I can't manage the default printers for each report.

Saving the printer settings allows the user, on the first use, to select the report, then the printer; from then on they can just hit my print button for a selected report, rather then finding the printer they want to use in print preview. It's pretty helpfull because some of the people here just are not computer savy, and have a real hard time finding the printer they want. Also, personally since i run a lot of reports I like not having to select the printer every time.

In order to figure out all the settings, I used a printer-setting mdb by microsft. It demonstrates the flexibilty of setting up printer settings programatically: printer, bin's, portrait/landscape, number of print outs etc.. I needed to run reports programatically once I went runtime on all the machines at my work.

So that's why.

Thanks for the vent. I hope i didn't bloat this site with a unuseful post Mark P.

Bleh

Perrymans,

It is free. I wish i saved the site address. I found it when looking up settings for reports when using Access Runtime. I have a copy of it, if you can't find it easily, I could email you if you want.

I ended up chopping it up a lot when embedding it in my system. Some of the stuff doesn't work great. Well, I didn't understand a lot of it. But I could at least set it up to do some basic saves: printer, Landscape or portrait, number of print outs. Even though we have a printer with a 5 bins here, I couldn't get their bin settings to work.

Here's some suggestions, just so you won't have to think about how to set it up: I set up a table with a report name, a friendly name for the report, then info for the saves, the printer and other stuff. I have a form that when you click on the friendly name of the report, from a list box, it takes you to the report settings. Pretty simple stuff. I also included the drop down box that loops through all the printers loaded, it is bound to the saved printer field. The only bug i have noticed is sometimes the saved printer name gives an error, this is solved by just reselecting the printer; it rarely happens though. Mark P.

Bleh

I'll search the MS site since I imaine there are other usefull items (like the security manaer), but I am not one to NOT take the easy route too.

sperryman@gtshq.com

Thanks. Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back