Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting a Clipper Applikation to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEMERY

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
CH
Hello,

The Firm where I work, would like to convert a big Clipper-Applikation in Windows.

I Found a Tools : CodeTranslator, who converts automatic Clipper Code in C++ Code. ( Who has any experience with this Tools ???

I have seen the Antwort of JesusTarre concerning Fivewin, I will also try this.

Who has any others experiences to convert a Clipper Application in Java, C++, Delphi, Access, or any other language ????

Thanks a lot for your Answers
Pierre-Alec Emery

I have just found on the CA-internet Site a language with the name of "CA-Visual Objects". Who knows this language ??
Who has experiences by converting Clipper in CA-Visual Objects ????

Thanks
Pierre-Alec Emery

The easiest way if desiring to maintain the same codebase is probably xBase++.

There is also the Harbour project.

Happy Coding, Michael

FIVEWIN from Fivetech ( is the fastest, easiest y powerful way to build business applications for Microsoft Windows (95,98,Me,NT,2000,XP) using CA-Clipper 5.x, Harbour and Alaska XBase++.

Do you want see some FiveWin made applications Gallery ?
Check out
Some about Fivewin here: (in Spanish)

More about Fivewin: (In English)
(Patrick Mast's Clipper/Harbour/Fivewin GURU website)

Official Fivewin Website: (Spanish / English):

Great FiveWin site hosted by Daniel Andrade. Only in Spanish for now.

GX-Reports has been designed to allow programmers and end-users alike to develop exquisite data-driven reports with ease and power.

The Harbour Project. An open source Clipper compatible compiler. The future of the clipper language!

WinFakt!, accounting software written in clipper+FiveWin.

James Bott's Website. Lots of cool FiveWin stuff here.
You can find the "Introduction to FiveWin" here, a clear article about FiveWin.
A 'Must Read'!

Check out my Insurance Broker software written in clipper+Fivewin

Best Regards

Jesus Tarre
jesustarre@cantv.net

I reccommend the XBase++ Solution from Alaska Software ( depending on what libraries that you have, you can convert it into a 32 bit application real fast.

What 3rd party libraries do you use?

Richard L. Hankins Jr.
Senior Programmer
Auction Services, Inc.

Ok, Thanks a lot for your answers.

Maybe I have to explain the Problem in an other way.

The Problem why this firm wants to convert this Clipper-Application is not that they really want to have a 'Windows-Application'. The reason is that they can't find anyone more who wants to work with clipper.

The Solution with FiveWin is certainly very good, but always based on Clipper.

The Solution with XBase++ is also good, but it's always a kind of Clipper.

Now I find on the CA-Sites, the product named CA-Visual Objects 2.5. This can be a solution, whenever I don't think that many people know this product.

Has Anyone experience whith CA-Visual Objects ??

The other solution is the product from sequiter ( CodeTranslator who translates Clipper in C++ code. Who knows this ???

You see the problem is not only to have a "windows"-application, but is more to have an application wroten with a "standard" language like C++, Java, Delphi, etc... This why you can't find people who wants to make Clipper any more. Currently, this application depends on one person (me), and the firm can't take this risk, this that I understands.

Thanks a lot and have a good day.
Pierre-Alec Emery

I do not understand because not to continue with CLIPPER it has given good results and you have the opportunity to continue using making it a true professional application for Windows. I have tester with DELPHI, VISUAL BASIC, VISUAL FOX, ACCESS and my conclusion is:

-Clipper + Fivewin is 20 times more fast than Access
-Clipper + Fivewin is 15 times more fast that Visual Fox
-Clipper + Fivewin is 10 times more fast that Visual BASIC
... and 5 times more fast that Delphi

CA-VISUAL OBJECT was a project that failed since it did not fulfill the gladly of the CLIPPER users because they did not manage to make so all around and commercial aplications as those of CLIPPER-DOS for that reason I will continue supporting FIVEWIN, I do not know applications more professional than those that I can do now with FIVEWIN and with Harbour we can make true applications 32 bits.

If you want best explication about. Check out the official fivewin Forum in:

ENGLISH:
news://news.fivetech.com/local.fivewin.english

SPANISH:
news://news.fivetech.com/local.fivewin.spanish

Please, asks this question in the forum for other opinions that help but in looking for a solution you for you

Best Regards

Jesus Tarre
jesustarre@cantv.net
Maracaibo, VENEZUELA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back