Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting a 97 db with security to 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivyleaf

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
Has anybody done this? I have a database that was created in 97 and works like a charm. Security has been set, users are able to log in and out etc...

Now our IT department has rolled out 2000 enterprise wide. I've attempted to open the database and get an error that states: The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database.

It goes on to say that to convert or enable, ensure the following:
*You must join the workgroup that defines the user accounts to access the databsae
*Your user account must have open/run and Open exclusive permissions for the database object.
*Your user account must have modify design or administer permissions for all the tables in the databse, or it must be the owner of all tables in the databse
*Your user account must have read design permission for all objects in the databse
*request that other users close the database.

I am a user, plus I am the owner of the database which brings up a number of concerns I hope somebody can help me with.

1. I cannot open the wrkgadm.exe file, I get an error that says Can't open registry database. My user account has all the necessary permissions. (or at least it did in 97...)
2. If I convert the database, by copying the objects into another database what does this do to security?
3. Can I copy the objects because the database is "secure"

Anybody have any helpful hints, tricks or a solution for me?

Sharon

Sharon:

I'm not an expert on this but I have run into the same problem you are now encountering.

My solution was to open a blank 2000 database and import all the items from the 97 database and then reapply security.

It has worked ok on the few databases I have had to convert (we have a mix of 97 and 2000 so I'm maintaining two front ends with the data still in 97 backends).

Hope this helps. Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

That means that you have both 97 and 2000 running on your machine? That also means that you can still access the wrkgadm.exe file?

I can't do either. Such a joy working with IT when they decide what you need to do your job, but that's another rant.

If you are saying that you don't have 97 on your machine, could you further define your "backend"?

Thanks in advance,

Sharon

Sharon:

Yes, I do have both '97 and 2000 on the same system. Fortunately, I am a sort-of, quasi member of our IT group.

My Db's were created using '97 and I generally split them into a front end (Forms, Queries, Reports, etc) and back end (Tables).

We have several affiliates on our network and use different mdw files for each. Users all use shortcuts to open the databases and we use the full path (Application, Database, Security) in the shortcut's target string to make sure the correct mdw file is invoked.

Some of our users now have Office 2000 installed and I have converted the '97 front ends to 2000; I have encountered some weird behavior when attempting the conversion due to administrator permissions and ownership issues.

Two things that I have tried that have worked reasonably well are:

Create a new, blank '97 database, import all the front end elements and then convert to 2000;

Create a new, blank 2000 database and import the '97 elements directly. The conversion seems (?) to happen 'on the fly' as the objects are imported.

As I said, both have worked and, in your case, the second option would seem to be the only one open to you.

I then link the new front end to the tables in the back end. We have left the back end in '97 since users of both '97 and 2000 need to access the data and that has worked with no evident problems to date (note how I word that -- evident and to date).

If you have not split the database/s or have no users remaining on the '97 version, you should be able to import all of the components into a blank 2000 database.

Hope this gives a little more info. Reply if you have more questions. Larry De Laruelle

Including the security, or would I have to set that up again. I guess my biggest concern with converting anything is that I cannot access the wrkgadm.exe file as my network locks me out of anything remotely address administration of something on the network.

My fear is that converting anything in this db would forever lock all of the users out of the database, because of the security, and then if I could convert it, what is the purpose of putting up security if this is a way for anybody to get around the security features. Do that make sense?

Thanks so much for your explanations.

Sharon

Any more suggestions? I can't set up security again as I don't have access to the Workgroupadmin file. Plus some users have been able to keep 97 on their machine so the database has to be used on dual systems. Is that going to create further problems?

You have to remove security from yr Access 97 db before you convert it. Look up "Security" in the access 97 help to learn how to remove security from a db.
Then you can reapply security on the converted data base in access 2000.

It all requires giving Data base "User" group full permissions on all objects, Import all database objects to a new Access 97 database and then remove the logon passwords.
Then you can convert this new access 97 db to access 2000.

Actually if you read Access 2000 documentation you will also clearly see the steps.
Nkabirwa Sowed Magezi
nkabirwa@netscape.net

A Ugandan Developer for

(1) School Management Information System(SMIS) - Foxpro 2.6 ; Ms-Acess 97

(2)Debt onitoring System(DMS) - Ms-Acess 97

(3) The Loans Recovery System(LS) - Ms- Access 97

(4) The Dry Cleaners System(DS) - Ms- Access 97

Magesi:

Good explanation, thanks.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; been out of touch. Larry De Laruelle

Yes but to put the information in the Wrkgdadm.exe is the problem that I'm having. No work around for that?

Sharon:

Try this link.

It discusses the issues with conversion of Access 97 to Access 2000 and has a section on secured databases.

Hopefully this will give you some additional information to work with.

Let me know if it helps. Larry De Laruelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back