Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert word to PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadigis

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
US
Hello,

I am a new to Acrobat.. I have couple of questions:

1. How can we dynamically create a PDF file using Acrobat Writer or Distiller. do anyone have sample code of doing this?

2. How can we convert the DOC file to a PDF dynamically???

Thanks in advance..

Suresh

I'm not sure what you mean by producing an Acrobat file "dynamically". If you mean producing a file that automatically and instantly reflects changes in the text from the source file as PageMaker does, then it's not possible - if you make a change, you have to Distill another PDF. You can use the touch-up tool to make small changes straight into the PDF file.

I mean
1. just to convert a word file to a pdf file programatically
2. to create a pdf file programatically..

I have the same need and it is 1 year and 1/2 later. Is this a possibility these days. I need to have an employee post their DOC, TXT, and or XLS file to an IN folder. Have an automated process convert all the doc's into PDF and spit it out to an OUT folder for pick up. This sounds very easy but no one has a clue when this questioned is asked. Can anyone help. I have looked at the SDK and no lu8ck there. 3rd party utilities are way over priced and we would rather do without than to pay 1k+ for something.

TIA, Thanks
-Robert
System Analyst/Programmer

I have the same need and it is 1 year and 1/2 later. Is this a possibility these days. I need to have an employee post their DOC, TXT, and or XLS file to an IN folder. Have an automated process convert all the doc's into PDF and spit it out to an OUT folder for pick up. This sounds very easy but no one has a clue when this questioned is asked. Can anyone help. I have looked at the SDK and no lu8ck there. 3rd party utilities are way over priced and we would rather do without than to pay 1k+ for something.

Sorry for the double post.
TIA, Thanks
-Robert

Acrobat Distiller (a component of the full Acrobat product) includes a watched folder function under the 'settings' menu.

Basically you need your fellow users to print their DOC, TXT or XLS files to a virtual PostScript printer on their machines (you can download a free PS printer driver from Adobe.com if you don't already have one). The PS or PRN files generated from this virtual printer should be saved to your 'In' folder on the computer that has Acrobat installed. Acrobat Distiller watches this folder and distills the postscript file into a PDF. It then shoves that PDF to a folder of your choosing.

All you need to do is create a virtual printer on your systems. You can name it 'Print to PDF' and assign the output to Distiller's watched folder. Users simply choose 'File>Print,Print to PDF' instead of a physical printer. I believe the Acrobat installer even gives you an option to create a 'Print to PDF' printer when you choose 'custom setup'.

Ahh thanks, Now we have many doc's to convert but how would one do this in a batch feature or a single job? Thanks for your last comment I understand now. It is kind of weird to do it that way and not striaght forward but hey as long as it works. :) Thanks
-Robert

hmm ok, different approach but workable in our environment. Thanks a ton for your help. The code needs modification quite a bit. But, the approach seems like a good sollution given with what we have to work with and also it will save development time as well. :) Thanks again. Funny thing is I searched that site and could not pull up anything close to that. Oh well... Thanks
-Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back