Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert USB cable to CAT5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleJ

Technical User
Sep 20, 2000
US

I have satellite internet connection. The connection comes in from the satellite to the ISPs router via coax cable. From the router the connection gets converted from coax to USB that then gets plugged into my server. This makes things difficult to network.

My question is: does anyone know of a device that converts USB to CAT5?

I know they make a device that converts CAT5 to USB but have not found anything within reasonable price range that does the opposite. I'm also open to any suggestions.

thanks
doublej

Can you be a little more specific!

My current config is satellite to router via coax.
Coax goes into a router which gets converted to USB.
From router to pc/server it’s USB cable.

What exactly are we plugging in backwards?

Double J, let me start by saying I have never worked with satellite internet. But I have done hundreds of cable internet setups. in the case of cable, the coax goes to a cable modem. A vast majority of cable modems have outputs in both USB and ethernet. Can you contact your provider and see if the transducer that changes coax to the usb is available with a ethernet output?

Even if you could find a cable/converter it still would not work.

The only way to do this is to use ICS. There are some satellite services who will sell or lease you a special router; but even the rare USB router such as the Vigor is not going to work for you.

You have to use ICS. To configure ICS to handle the USB connection and let you add a router see:

Hi DoubleJ,

To my Knowledge such a device does not exist. To Make a USB Signal into a CAT5 Signal.

But, This probably wont work, but it’s the only way I could think of it.

Take the USB output of The Modem, put it in into a USB Hub, Then take one of the little Ethernet to USB Converters (Quite a few from and plug an Ethernet cable into it. Then run the Ethernet to a switch/hub, and run a cat5 line from your computer to the switch/hub.

I really doubt it will work. It is easy to make a CAT5 signal into a USB, but USB to Cat5 is a bit more difficult.

Or Call and ask them, if they dont have it, well, its not made :)

All the luck to you,

-Mesa

There was a company in California that was making what they called a CABLE Router designed to to netwroking over standard TV Cable. The concept was that if you already have cable TV, why not use the same wire for netwroking. They had some devices that converted the signal to Ethernet. Dont know how compatible this would be. I dont remember their name.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

To: WMCCall

Thanks… and yes I contacted isp and they do have a device! 600$ for the device, 300$ for repointing the dish and 150$ for monthly cost. This unit is mainly for big business.

They also have a unit that just converts USB to Cat5 they want 600$.

To: MesaMarshall and BCastner
Thanks a mil. I needed a starting point.
I’ll give both suggestions a shot. Wish I lived in the city sometimes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back