Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert to ms excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter11

Instructor
Mar 16, 2001
US
Is there a way to convert cfm outputs into an excel spread sheet on the fly?

I am aware that you can right click on an cfm page and select "Export to Microsoft Excel" (in IE) but is there a way to click on a link and generate an Excel file from data generated by cold fusion?

It would also be great if it were cross browser friendly.

hmmm!

Pete

g'day Peter, I am not sure if I completely understand your question; but will have a go anyway. Would purging the cache be the same as doing a refresh? In which case you could use something similar to <cfheader name = &quot;Expires&quot; value = &quot;#Now()#&quot;>... which forces the browser client to empty its cache of the file that has been requested. Also, if the file is just a temp file, does writing over the existing file change it's contents?
I could be way off, so excuse my ignorance [ponder]

11JTH11

Hi 11JTH11,

Thanks for your response. I've tried several versions of no-cache headers in both ColdFusion and HTML, but no luck. It doesn't seem like a cache issue. When Excel gets a command to display a page that's already open, it just redisplays it. If the file is named something different it will show both pages, but then I would somehow have to get a different name for my action page each time it is accessed, since it's the name of the ColdFusion action page that is passed to Excel. (remember, my page is opening in Excel, not in IE)

The best way to solve this issue would be to find a way to send a command from ColdFusion to Excel to close a file named such and such. After that I can just reopen the file with the code I have, and the new parameters.

Thanks for you input, [smile] [smile]

Peter

Peter...
I recently purchased a product from Gilgamesh Solutions that is capable of creating several different dynamic MicroSoft outputs.
Simply go to and look at their products, you're looking for DynamicMS 1.0.

Good luck!

Roger

I am currently using DynamicMS 1.0 from Gilgamesh Solutions. It seems to work just fine! I am having so much fun generating reports as Excel, Word and PowerPoint documents.

Go check it out, you might have some fun with it too :)

Dear readers,

This has been a great thread....very useful. But as I can undertstand from it many people seem to have the same problem as me... but I can't see any solutions.

The problem is: when I download a recordset, resulting from a query, from ColdFusion to Excel...the default extension given to the file to be saved is .cfm I need .xls as default for the will be users of this application.

The link given by RichardBro (Programmer) on Jul 28, 2003 for an effective solution to this nolonger works:

(i.e
Can anybody help?

Cathy

I know this is an old thread, but it touches on the question I have. Is there a way to create an excel sheet using cfcontent, etc but create more than one sheet, like you can if you were just working in excel?

Tim

I think you have to get into com objects and create the excel sheet cell by sell, sheet by sheet. It isn't fun. here is a similar thread.

thread232-946024

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back