Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Text to Number using MsAccess Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArnieNZ

Instructor
Jun 26, 2002
NZ
I am not VBA conversant, and I would like to know if I can convert a text field to a number field using a "good old query". The table of data I am using is imported from another source - no problems there - but the client field is stored as text in the original source, even tho the field contains all numbers, and I want to change the data to number format in my database, even if I have to create an additional field to do so would be fine.

Thanks in advance Arnie

Thanks for your help, but still no go. The field remains as a text field.

Any other suggestions?
Arnie

Thanks Anne for your help again.
Fortunately my problem is solved. I had tried all sorts of combinations. Someone I spoke to since I posted this thread gave me the solution.
Anyway, the good news is it works using the function VAL as follows:

Expr1:VAL([field-Name]) in the spare query field .
It worked like dream. But believe it or not, I couldnt find any mention of it in F1 microsoft help or on their knowledge site.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I hope someone else benefits from this too.

Kind regards

ArnieNZ Arnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back