Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert text to hyperlink 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmmsi

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
How do I convert text in a cell to behave like a hyperlink?

the text is already formatted to behave like a hyperlink, and if you copy the text from the cell and paste it into the run prompt, the file designated opens up in the default application for the extension. As an example:

\\server02\share01\main\test.jpg

is how the data appears in the cell. How do I get that to behave like a hyperlink so the user can get the file to open when they click on the cell?

Thanks greatly in advance for stopping by to even give this a glance.

Right Click on the cell,
there should be an option saying Hyperlink.
A pop up will appear and will give you the option of pointing the hyperlink to the folder/file/whatever.
Click OK
Voila

Alternatively hit ctrl + k
or
insert --> Hyperlink

Impossible is Nothing

Yes, that works, and for a few items, it is easy because the actual link to paste into the dialog box is the data in the cell itself.

Do you know of an automated way to handle a large number of cells (over 200 and growing quickly)?

I was hoping to be able to handle it with the Format Cells option that can apply to all cells in a column, but that does not seem to work, and the Hyperlink dialog is only 1 cell at a time.

Thanks again

Hi!

Assuming your link value is in column A, then you could simply enter this formula in cell B1:
Code:
=HYPERLINK(A1)
and copy the formula down column B.

;-)

Cheers,
MiS

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

YES! Most Excellent. Mega Cheers. Giga Cheers. Heck, Tera Cheers. O, yes, by the way, thank you.

cmmsi,

There is a generally accepted way of saying "thank you" here on Tek-Tips. It helps everyone in the long run.

That is clicking on the link under a post that says "[blue]Thank MakeItSo for this valuable post![/blue]"

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks kjv!
[thumbsup]

Although I am generally happy with anyone posting back when problem is solved and saying (writing) "thank you" the way cmmsi did.
:)

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

COPY the range containing the hperlink.

Edit > Paste Special -- Paste VALUES

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back