Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert rows to columns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2003
US
Hi,

I want to convert rows that have the same ID but additional data to one single row where the additional data would go to new columns.

For example:

ID Name Rate DistrPerc
-----------------------------------------
111 Amy 25000.00 5
111 Amy 30000.00 6
222 Bob 28000.00 2

and change it so it would look like this...

ID Name Rate1 DistrPerc1 Rate2 DistriPerc
-----------------------------------------------------------
111 Amy 25000.00 5 30000.00 6
222 Bob 28000.00 2

This gets asks lots of times in various DB/SQL forums - see thread183-459197 for starters, or do an advanced search for the exact phrase 'rows to columns'
HTH Dickie Bird (:)-)))

no no no no no!!!!

you should NORMALISE YOUR DATA! then you wouldnt have to do this anyway!

if youre looking for output use a report wizard

Could you give me more information about what NORMALISE is? I've tried to search it here, but didn't find help much. Thanks.

"Normalisation" is a kind of standard for clean db design - I'm sure there are whole books on it. More than the pathetic few pages from the begining of the Access manual. Sorry I don't have a sugestion/reference . . .

My reaction to these questions is - if you want a layout inspired by Excel, use Excel! Should be easy to dump your data into Excel and make a pivot table or what ever. DaPi - no silver bullet

there are various forms of normal(ity)

UN-NORMALISED (you)
1NF (no vector elements)
2NF where the primary key is of more than one attrib, no non-key attrib functionaly dependant on PART of that key
3NF - no non key attrib f.d. on any other non key attrib

( i think they are in the right order)

there should be a tutorial somewhere. normalisation is more of a prosess rather than a no-brainer. - dont bother with a quick fix. head in book all day breeds good results

apoligez for da spellink - dont bother with a quick fix. head in book all day breeds good results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back