Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert RGB to CMYK

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricketx

Technical User
Jun 28, 2003
AU
How do I convert the RGB photos to CMYK?

And what is the best way to import photos into Indesign2? I am currently just clicking and dragging the photos into Indesign2.
--------

Indesign2
Windows XP (SP1)
Designing Tabloid Newspaper (Any tips welcome)

Hi there,

You can convert RGB to CMYK at the output stage using the Output tab in the print dialogue box.

Placing of images seems to be a matter of personal preference. I use <Ctrl>+D; File, Place; Drag from Explorer; Drag from other documents; Copy and paste from other documents; Drag from Thumbs+. It really depends on whether your graphical links are important, and where your original files are. Sometimes the only way is to copy and paste from another application, but that leads to an embedded file which could cause problems in the future.

Matthew

Hi,
for the best result you might want to considder using photoshop or other image editing program, so you can open your images convert them to CMYK or RGB,check the quality then save. After you've done this you can place them in indesign as matthew suggested.

Roland

Thanks guys for your reply

>>You can convert RGB to CMYK at the output stage using the >>Output tab in the print dialogue box.

I am actually hoping to use the &quot;export&quot; (File>Export) feature and wondering if the &quot;Press&quot; style(File>pdf Styles) automatically converts RGB to CMYK. Can anyone confirm this?

>>for the best result you might want to considder using >>photoshop or other image editing program, so you can open >>your images convert them to CMYK or RGB,check the quality >then save.

That is a good idea :) Do you know if illustrator does this?

Another question:
How do I convert the documents in color to black & white pdf's? Again is there a way to do this by using the export feature?

Thanks in advance
----

Indesign2
Windows XP (SP1)

The &quot;Press&quot; style does convert to CMYK. You can check this by going to the Advanced tab in the export box.

The only way that I have managed to make greyscale PDFs from colour documents is by re-saving the PDF in Acrobat as a greyscale postscript file, then re-distilling. Easy to do, but a work-around, not a solution.

Matthew

Thanks for the reply

I have currently worked out a way.

For all pictures I first drag them into Illustrator and then conver them to CMYK or Graysclale using Filter->Color menu.

Then I add these pictures to my indesign2 document using copy and paste. And then I'll export then using the press pdf style.

Lets see what my printer says :)

Indesign2
Windows XP (SP1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back