Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert MS Word table to spaced text 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

benpollinger

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
Hello all,

I'd like to change a few tables in MS Word to spaced out text, to put on a wiki.

Word XP only seems to allow converting to tab-delimited text, where a tab (or another character) separates columns.

I'd like something more like this:

[tt]
^ Heading 1 ^ Heading 2 ^ Heading 3 ^
| Row 1 Col 1 | Row 1 Col 2 | Row 1 Col 3 |
| Row 2 Col 1 | something | Row 2 Col 3 |
| Row 3 Col 1 | Row 3 Col 2 | |
[/tt]

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

Could you please elaborate a bit more. i am not getting what you really want. Other than the "something" the conversion turns out what the sample text seems to look like. I am missing something.

Gerry

It is not easy to do with any other character if you expect the allignment to be consistent row to row.

IF the text length is consistent (say, 12 characters each segment Row 1 Col 1 12 Char, Row 1 Col 2 12 Char etc.) then 1. select the data
2. copy
3. paste special - unformatted text
4. find and replace ^t (tab character) with " | " (your space delimiter, I used 4 spaces separated by | just for visual effect).

A script could count the number of characters in a line and perform a few various find/replace functions depending on how many characters there are to match the length. It is not difficult, but time consuming to create because for every ONE character variance, you need an entry in the script. You also need a maximum number of characters to be able to map it out really clearly and to prevent wrapping to the next line.

wiki is not something that I know, so that part is beyond me.

S

Actually, looking at the wiki, it might not be so difficult.

1. select the data
2. copy
3. paste special - unformatted text
4. find and replace ^t (tab character) with " | " (your column delimter for wiki)

If you have paragraphs marks in the table cells, then you probably have too much information in the cells.

It sounds as though wiki will manage the spacing for you and align your columns (don't quote me on that though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back