Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Legacy Flexfile to importable format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

whammond

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
US
I purchased Clipper 5.3 and FlexFile II so that I could access and convert legacy data into a format I can import into Foxpro or Excel. I understand the language, but have never used Clipper or Flexfile.

I need a "jump start" to get Clipper and Flexfile working, and how to access and extract the data.

I would appreciate a little step by step, and am also willing to pay for a little phone support to get this started.

Hi whammond,

Why? I'm using Clipper Summer 87 and VFP8 reads the tables just fine. There are some locking issues, so you can't use shared access. You can copy or append but you have to keep the tables free of a dbc or Clipper won't be able to open it anymore.

I'm currently converting my Clipper apps to xHarbour which will allow me to use .CDX index files which makes the apps compatible with VFP.

Regards,

Mike

Hi mspratt -

It may be that I don't understand the problem completely.
It's the FlexFile Memo's that I have to open and convert into some meanful form.

I just got the Clipper and Flexfile, so I haven't learned how to setup or use them yet.

Hi whammond,

convert legacy data into a format I can import into Foxpro or Excel

I have no experience with FlexFile, but have you tried simply USEing the tables from VFP?

Regards,

Mike

Mike -

I have no problem using the DBF or NTX files with Foxpro. It is the FlexFile DBV files that are the compressed images, similar to Foxpro's FPT files. Once I comple FlexFile into Clipper I should have some contol over them.

I have the Flexfile Manual. I was just looking for a "Jump Start

Sorry, my experience is with Summer 87, so I can't be much help. Someone else....

Regards,

Mike

While using Flexfile you also have access to the regular clipper memo files.
Just open the database with the flexfile memo's and copy them to the regular clipper database with the regular clipper memo files.

After the copying you only have to open the clipper database with clipper memo files with VFP which converts both database and memofiles to VFP format and FPT memo files.

Rob.

Looks right on...

Thanks for the help

Wayne Hammond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back