Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Grayscale image to CMYK Black Only????

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzLitho

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
US
I have a 4/c image that I want to convert to a CMYK image with the image in the black channel only. (I do not want it to convert to a CMYK Black image). In the real old photoshop I think you used to go into Separation Setup and set to Maximum. If I copy the grayscale image and make a new CMYK document in photoshop and paste into the Black channel only then it is at 90% of the original image?

Any ideas?

That's strange... just tried pasting a grayscale image into the black channel only and it worked fine. I presume you've checked the other channels to see if they're still empty? If you fill a grayscale image with 100% black, does it still come in at 90% when you paste it? Maybe there's some weird color management / proofing thing going on...

a CMYK image with the image in the black channel only

That would be a one channel grayscale image. Correct?

It would be inefficient to have the C, M, Y channels empty but still saved in the image file. Why would you retain those channels?

GOT IT !!!! GOT IT!!!!!!

Open up grayscale image.
Go to Image > Mode > Convert to Profile

Destination Space > Custom CMYK

Black Generation > Maximum

This will change doc mode to CMYK and put into black channel only.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

I'm with jimoblak - why have three empty channels? Inquiring minds and all that...

Donna

Because I need to customer wants part of the image Black Only and a small area on the persons face 4c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back