Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert FAT to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2000
US
I converted a NT 4.0 workstation from FAT to NTFS and now when a user without administrative priviledges logs on, a Enter network password prompt pops up. It looks like it is trying to connect to another workstation's hard drive. If you hit cancel, another network prompt pops up trying to connect to another PC. Any ideas???

Hello,

maybe the registry-entry following will help you:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001

Sometimes NT stores the filename in UNC-Format, not with Drive-Letters. With this entry NT only uses the Drive-Letter and don't use it's history to resolve a network path.

HTH

Karpi
<fluctuat nec mergitur>

I don't think this will work. We have the same problem with several PC's on out network after the FAT16 th NTFS convertion. The way we have go aroung this is to recreate all the shortcuts on the desktop from scratch. We have come to the conclusion that it may have something to do with GHOST as all our images have been ghosted and the PC which needs to be logged onto is the original GHOST image PC. Check this out and let me know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back