Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert DV Video to VCD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

changky

Technical User
Apr 20, 2003
PH
Hello!

I have a DV Video that i have just captured and edited using Adobe Premiere 6.5. What is the best way to convert the video to vcd?

I tried using the built-in Main Concept MPEG Encoder to encode to MPEG (VCD Settings), then used Roxio to make the VCD. The resulting VCD is not that clear compared to other VCDs i've seen.

Should I make an AVI file then use another external MPEG Encoder like TMPGenc? Or is there another way?

Thanks!

Never use Premiere to make VCDs. Instead, try the websites below. I use DVD2SVCD with the TMPGEnc encoder and it works wonders. You'll have to output AVI from Premiere, then import it to DVD2SVCD. Good luck.

(software to convert AVI to VCD/SVCD)
(software to burn VCD/SVCD to CD)
(forum on various VCD/SVCD/DVD topics)

First of all, I would not use Roxio to make a VCD. As Irsmith said, VCDEasy is an excellent piece of software to handle this. However, the newest versions are no longer free. You might get lucky and find an older free version online (1.5.x or older) But if you have Windows 2000 or XP, you will want the newest version of VCDEasy 2.x which supports SPT1 (NT's substitution for ASPI to talk to your burner).

With that said, I'm surprised that you are having problems exporting the MPEG from Adobe. Did you look at the MPG after the export to see if the quality looks bad on your monitor? Did you adjust the quality of the MPEG before export?

If you must, export it as an AVI and just use another software program like TMPGEnc to convert it from AVI to MPEG-1. Then all you have to do is use VCDEasy to make the VCD and you're done.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I always encode my MPEG using Adobe Premiere. Then use Roxio to burn my VCD. But I always get obvious pixels on screen. I've seen other VCDs (converted from DV) that are so clear you'll mistake it for a DVD. That's the output i want.

Thanks for the tips lrsmith and cdogg! I'll try them out and let you guys know how it went.

But I always get obvious pixels on screen

Does it look "pixel-lated" on your PC monitor when you play it back taking up a decent portion of your screen?

Even though you are using Adobe to encode the MPEG, there are many settings from within that you can change to adjust the quality. For example, the video bitrate is usually the number one factor. Try a higher setting using a constant bitrate (at least 1.2 Mbps). Also make sure you have the resolution in the Adobe project set appropriately. You want to make sure it is at least 352x240 or higher.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back