Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert docx to pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

subgoat

Programmer
Sep 23, 2005
GB
Hi,
I'm looking for a way to programmatically convert Word 2007 .docx files to .pdf format from my ASP.Net 2005 application. Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

You might want to post this in the VBA for Applications forum here.

Although I havent used 2007, one way to do it with 2003 would be to:

Have the distiller or pdf printer driver installed

Use automation to open and print the document to the adobe driver to create a file.

wjwjr

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

Hi, automation is not the way I want to do it really, as the population of the Word 2007 document on the web server is done just via the new XML capabilities inherent in the Office 2007 suite. This means you can produce Word documents without automation - i.e. don't have to leave a web server logged on to do the job, which is much better. The method I use to populate the Word documents (a series of forms) is via the new Content Controls, which is great. But for the PDF conversion, the one software program I found on the web that purports to be able to do such a conversion doesn't seem to be able to handle the text in the content controls, which is most disappointing.

All help / ideas very welcome. And happy new year!

I use CutePDF, as its free and so far it's coped with everything I've thrown at it.

I've also used PDF995 in the past too, fr the same reasons, but CutePDF doesn't keep taking me to its own website each time I use it.

They may be worth a try.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Thanks for the tip, but CutePDF uses Word automation, which I don't want to do as per my previous post. Populating Word2007 documents does not require Word 2007 installed on the web server, so I need another way of handling the conversion to PDF. Thanks, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back