Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert date parameter to number in Crystal command

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandOQ4b

Programmer
Jul 22, 2010
US
I am using crystal command to write my own SQL. I need to add a parameter (in the command window, not in the report) that is the users see as a date but I need to convert that to a number format YYYYMMDD to match the records in the database (they will not change the database). They insist on date parameter.

I am using Crystal 2008 connecting to a AS400 via a IBM iSeries ODBC driver DB2 UDB. (Straight SQL does not work, not all DB2 SQL works either, it is some kind of weird Crystal/SQL/DB2 driver hybred) Assistance GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Sample code:
Sales.DATE >= {?Begin Date} and
Sales.DATE <= {?End Date}

Sales.date is number field
parameter field is date field

I have tried converting the database field to date (it works) but it is too slow. As a test I set the parameter to number field and it is very quick!

Convert the param to a string and then substring out the values you need leaving you with the correct number as string and then convert this string to a number.

Its hard to be more precise as I don't know the functions available to you on AS400 nor the format of the date you are inputting.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

I used your idea. I built a test report, Crystal command does not give any errors and accepts the code.

FYI- I can't use "CONVERT" instead of "CAST" this system doesn't like it

Sales.DATE >= CAST (CHAR ({?Begin Date}) as DEC(8, 0))
and Sales.DATE <= CAST (CHAR ({?End Date}) as DEC(8, 0))
But when I try to run the report i get the following error.

Database Connector Error: 'HY000:[IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL802 - Data conversion or data mapping error. [Database vendor Code: -802]'

Suggestions???

Not sure what functions you can use, but try using the equivalent of the following:

Sales.DATE >= to_number(to_char({?Start Date},'YYYYMMDD'))
and
Sales.DATE <= to_number(to_char({?End Date},'YYYYMMDD'))

-LB

The closest that I could come up with that "command" would accept was

sales.DATE >= DEC ((SUBSTR (CHAR ({?Begin Date}), 5, 4)) ||
(SUBSTR (CHAR ({?Begin Date}), 1, 2)) ||
(SUBSTR (CHAR ({?Begin Date}), 3, 2)))
and sales.DATE <= DEC ((SUBSTR (CHAR ({?End Date}), 5, 4)) ||
(SUBSTR (CHAR ({?End Date}), 1, 2)) ||
(SUBSTR (CHAR ({?End Date}), 3, 2)))

However when run I got the same error as above.

I will keep trying any suggestions put forth.

I set the parameter field up in SELECT, so I could see the output.
CHAR ({?End Date}) as TEST_END
puts the date in the correct format of YYYYMMDD.
When I try to use DECIMAL to convert the string to a number nothing is returned in the field (TEST_END) in the report.

DECIMAL (CHAR ({?End Date}), 8, 0) as TEST_END

It seems like it should work, but doesn't.... Suggestions?

Finally found the answer, thanks everyone for your help!

When converting a date it must first be converted to a charater string, when converted it also flips the data in the correct order (YYYYMMDD) matching the database. However, in my database it also adds dashes between field parts (i.e. 2010-07-10). So,when converting from CHAR to a DECIMAL, these dashes must be eliminated, otherwise the code errors out.
Here is the code

Sales.DATE >= CAST
(
(SUBSTR (CHAR ({?BEGIN Date}), 1, 4) ||
SUBSTR (CHAR ({?BEGIN Date}), 6, 2) ||
SUBSTR (CHAR ({?BEGIN Date}), 9, 2)
) as DEC(8, 0)
)

Keep this in your bag of tricks, it may come in handy! It took me a long time to figure this out!!!!!!

writing command in sql to set condition to prevent reading of records when params 1, 2, 3 are null. Section in rpt is set conditionally to return a message to user that one param must be used but I'd like to prevent command from reading records also - would this be a case statement or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back