Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert data from all Upper Case to "Proper Case"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2002
US
I need to be able to convert data that is currently in all caps (Upper Case) to data that is in "Proper Case" - I can do it by bringing the data out into another application (such as Access) and running a query there, then exporting the data back into a sql database, but I would prefer as little data transfer as possible.

Example:

JOHN C.DOE becomes John C. Doe
SUSIE QUE becomes Susie Que

Thanks,

JW

you can do it by using LOWER(char_exp) or UPPER(char_exp).
Lower function will be usefull to convert all upper case letters to lower case letters, the similar way UPPER function also.

It may help to U, I think.

Madhu.

you can do it by using functions LOWER(char_exp) or UPPER(char_exp). LOWER function will be used to convert all upper case letters to lower case letters, UPPER case function also in similar way used.

It may be helpful to U, I think.

Madhu.

I saw this UDF womewhere on the web. It's supposed to assign proper case. Perhaps with adaptation it will work for you. (But you need SQL Server 2000 for UDFs; otherwise, re-work into a stored procedure)

CREATE FUNCTION TitleCase (
@DataIn VARCHAR(50)
)
RETURNS Varchar(50) AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @Store VARCHAR(50)
DECLARE @i INT
SET @Store = LOWER(@DataIn)
SET @Store = UPPER(LEFT(@Store,1)) + SUBSTRING(@Store,2,LEN(@Store))

WHILE CHARINDEX(' ',@Store,1) > 0
BEGIN
SET @i = CHARINDEX(' ',@Store,1)
SET @Store = LEFT(@Store,@i-1) + '~*' + UPPER(SUBSTRING(@store,@i + 1,1)) +SUBSTRING(@Store,@i+2,LEN(@Store))
END

SET @Store = REPLACE(@Store,'~*',' ')
SET @DataIn = @Store
RETURN @DataIn
END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back