Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Access for use on an older version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islwyn

Programmer
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have a friend with Access 97 who wants me to make him a database, but I'm running Access 2003. Before I get going can anybody tell me whether this will this work, and if not is there a way of converting it (in the same way that you can save a word file as a Word 97 file)?

Many thanks

Cheers

Nick

Nick
Check your Database Utilities > Convert database to prior version. You should be able to convert the db to Access 97. There may be a few things that don't work exactly the same in the 97 version, but most things should work.

I suggest you make a back-up copy of your database and do the conversion from it.

Tom

Many Thanks Tom,
I did do a search in Access help but found nothing except converting Access 97 to 2000 or higher - I should have gone straight to database utilities!

Thanks again.

Nick
I'm curious about something.

You say you are using Access 2003. Are you saving databases in Access 2003 format, or Access 2000 (the default)?

I have Access 2003 on my laptop, and Access 2000 on my desktop, so in order to be able to use a db in both locations I keep things in 2000 format.

I have encountered a couple of odd things...
1. If I apply a Digital Certificate, in order to get past the annoying Security messages, the file won't work on the desktop computer.
2. A couple of function expressions work fine on the desktop, which runs Access 2000, but not on the laptop which runs Access 2003. It seems odd that stuff can be machine-specific!

Anway, I was wondering what you have encountered.

Tom

Hello,

My system is the other way around but I haven't yet had any need to look at something saved in 2003 on my laptop (2000) and I've just reduced my macro security settings to low to get rid of the infuriating security messages - since I'm only working with my own databases and trust my antivirus software I hope that should be OK, although I suppose I'll have to look into the certificate thing if anybody else wants a database for 2003. I've not yet encountered anything that does not work in 2003 but perhaps this could again be a security 'problem'? I probably will just when I need something I haven't used for a long time to work!

Cheers

Nick
One expression I had a problem with had to do with HasData, a check to make sure that a subreport has data.

The following works in Access 2000...
=IIf([rptInvoiceDetails].[Report].[HasData]=-1,[rptInvoiceDetails]![txtBalance],0)

But that won't work in Access 2003, even though the file format is Access 2000. Access 2003 needs the additional .Report operator in the last half of the expression. i.e.
=IIf([rptInvoiceDetails].[Report].[HasData]=-1,[rptInvoiceDetails].[Report]![txtBalance],0)

It was a bit frustrating to get blank text boxes on an Invoice, until I figured out where the problem was. When I did the solution was fairly simple, because Access 2000 accepts the expression with or without .Report

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back