Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert a Crosstab Query back to a normal query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave177

Programmer
Jan 9, 2005
GB
I'm working on a fairly large database and there is a crosstab query in it which is the end result of lots of other append/normal queries etc. I need to change some of the field values in the crosstab and it would be much easier to do if it was a normal query. Is there anyway you can convert a crosstab into a normal query?

Thanks for any help.

David

What's your definition of a "normal" query? You can't edit the values in a crosstab or any query created from a crosstab. If you really want to "change some of the field values", you will need to use the crosstab as the source of a make table query. You could then edit the records in the "made" table.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Leslie, I will post the SQL in due course but can't get at it at the moment.
Duane, By edit I mean build relationships with other tables. There are a number of measure names that in the crosstab query are being used as column headings. I would like to use these measure names as a foreign key in a new query.

At the moment the data looks like:

Site Measure1 Measure2 Measure3
A 22 56 78
B 55 23 21
C 68 21 88

I want it to look likeL
Site Measure Value
A 1 22
A 2 56
A 3 78
B 1 55
B 2 23
B 3 21
C 1 68
C 2 21
C 3 88

So then I can link it with another table on field Measure.

Thanks for any help.

David

Why can't you use a pre-crosstab table or query rather than creating a crosstab then un-crosstabbing it? It's like taking a train out of town and then renting a car to drive back.

If you are stuck using the crosstab, you can use a normalizing union query to normalize.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Someone needed to do lots of calculations (for example adding one field to another and dividing by another to give a new value) so they made it into a crosstab. It's also quite a large database and it would be much easier/safer not to change anything pre-calculation stage. Also, the query will only have to be run once a month so the extra "mileage" isn't that much of a problem.
I will try the normalising union query.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back