Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert 8.5 RPT to 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmarsten

Programmer
Oct 2, 2001
US
I have been writing reports with Crystal 8.5.
I run these reports from inside another application and not from Crystal.
Unfortunatly, I found out that this other application does not support Crystal 8.5, only Crystal 8.0 and Crystal 6.0 (not 7.0!).
Now I am stuck with a bunch of completed 8.5 reports that I can't use. I own Crystal 8.0 and Crystal 8.5 but they are on different machines. I've had problems installing both on the same machine.

Anyone know how I can convert the the 8.5 reports to 8.0?

The only thing I've thought of is to save the 8.5 as a 7.0 (since 8.5 won't allow saving to 8.0).
Then open the 7.0 in 8.0 and re-save. I was hoping for an easier solution (a utility to convert would be ideal) since my versions of Cystal are on different machines and I've got dozens of RPT's.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe that V8.5 and V8 share the same format, so as long as you don't use any V8.5 feature that is not in V8 you're okay.

V8.5 and V8 may share the same format but there must be something different in the file.

I've tried to run the V8.5 files in V8.0.
The files opens without a problem but I get an error when I try to execute it - "Group specified on a non-recurring field." This file started out as an 8.0 file, it was re-saved as 8.5. Nothing was changed in this file except it was re-saved.

Besides that, the program used to execute/view the report is a commercial program that allows the execution of external reports. I tested it and it does not work with V8.5 RPT files. Probably because the program uses V8 DLL's and may have code that checks the version. I have no control over that program and no say in its use.

V8 should be able to run any 8.5 report.
They might, however, interpret formulas slightly differently. This would likely be a bug, but might happen. Are you grouping/charting/cross-tabing on a formula that uses an 8.5 function, or uses a variable, or is a constant?

Since any differences are unintentional, I doubt that there is a utility to do what you are asking. I think FastPlanet has a utility called VControl that updates RPTS to a newer version (7.x or 8.x) but I dont think it goes backwards. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back