Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert 32-bit report to 16-bit report 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNab

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
CA
Hello All,

My company uses a piece of software which uses reports made with Crystal Reports 6.0 (which is a much older version). We have run into a problem. I have made modifications to many of the reports in the last couple of months. The problem is that our software is a 16-bit app and so are the reports that go with them. The modified reports where done in CR 6.0 32-bit. Now all the modified reports are not working properly. The modifications I did may have been only one small part of rather large and complex existing reports. However, once I saved the modifications, the existing 16-bit report is turned into a 32-bit report. Does anyone know a way to convert 32-bit reports back to 16-bit reports? So far, it looks like we will have to completly rebuild all modified reports and we really don't want to have to do that. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Jamieson in Canada

Report, Convert database driver and pick the 16 bit driver. You may have to copy the driver somewhere on your workstation, I am assumming the install of 32 bit CR, especially if it comes bundled with your software, may have gotten rid of the 16 bit driver. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

Hello and Thx for the quick reply,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean? We want to take reports that are 32-bit and convert them to 16-bit reports. What you posted sounds like a way to convert the Crystal Report software from a 32-bit app to a 16-bit app. I realize that if I have to redo the reports, I will have to use the 16-bit CR 6.0. Could you please explain a little more.

Thanks again!

Jamieson in Canada

Click on the word "report" and then "Convert database driver" and convert your current report from the 32 bit driver it is now using to the 16 bit driver.

You may need to look at your software's (not crystal reports) documentation to see what the 16 bit driver is named, or you may need to create or modify a DSN in control panel to use the 16 bit driver instead of the 32 bit driver.

This is not redoing the report, it will probably take 20 seconds per report to do this. It is not converting the CR application to 16 bit, it is converting ONE REPORT at a time to 16 bit. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

Hello,

Once again, thanks for the speedy reply! This sounds great! Thank you so much for all your help! It is greatly appreciated! One more quick question: When I do this convert, should I be using the 32-bit app of CR or the 16-bit app of CR? I'm pretty sure you mean for me to use the 32-bit, but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks again ... your a life saver!

Jamieson in Canada

I think either would work but I am not sure. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

Hello,

We are still having problems getting them to convert. We open a report, click the DataBase drop down menu, click "convert database driver". Then it show's a bunch of drives to pick. It says "From: PDBDOA.DLL [MS DAO]". It then has a drop down list of many other drivers (I'm kinda guessing that they are drives as I know very little about them). The drop down list contains several choices. The one I picked was "To: PDIRDAO.DLL [MS DAO]". I only picked it because it's file name was closest to the original file name. It then says something at the bottom about Refreshing the file or something? I know that refreshing the report only compiles the report in report view. Am I on the right track here? I'm sorry but could you please further explain this process to me. Please keep in mind that we are useing Crystal Reports 6.0 which is a much older and outdated version. Thanks again for all your help!

Jamieson in Canada

I don't think the CR version is relevant here. I belive you are on the right track. When you convert the database driver the checkbox says "convert database driver on next refresh". You must click this and refresh the report, and you are done.

The only thing I am unsure of is what driver you need to use to do this. Your software vendor can probably help you in this regard. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

Thanks again ... we'll work with it some more. You have been very helpful. Have a great weekend!

Jamieson in Canada

Just a note.. I'm not sure that it is possible to go back to 16 bit once converted to 32 bit. one thing that you will need though if it is to work is the 16bit version installed for the drivers that crystal provides. Also keep in mind that you will not be able to open the 32 bit report using a 16bit version (only works the other way around). All in all, it sounds pretty unstable. :(

Roadkill-

We are talking about using a 16 bit database/odbc DRIVER, not the old 16 bit version of Crystal Reports.

You can convert froma 32 bit driver to a 16 bit driver, I tested it with a btrieve database before I made my post. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgillz@juno.com

When you select the 'convert database driver' option you will only see names for 16 bit drivers, even if you are using the 32 bit drivers. That is a bug in CR. If the driver is the issue you will probably have to load up the 16 bit app, change the driver to something else and then change it back (which will now select the 16 bit driver).

I havent worked in 16 bit for a while, but I seem to remember a Seagate engineer telling me that an rpt would run in either environment. They didn't support it, but there really wasn't a difference between the 16 and 32 bit rpts. The driver, however is different, and if it is looking for a specific file name, it won't find it. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Hello All,

Thank you so much for all of the advice! I'll try these solutions out when I return to work next week. Have a great weekend!

Jamie in Canada

Hello All,

For a little while, we thought we had it but then the error msg appeared again! The msg is:

"FDPVRG caused a General Protection Fault in module DAO2516.DLL at 002D:0047.

Choose close, FDPVRG will close."

Now FDP is a company we deal with.

I'm not sure about the new drivers I am selecting either. The (32-bit) reports are using "PDBDAO.DLL [MS DAO]". I changed them to "PDIRJET.DLL [MS JET]" and then refreshed the report. This would save the JET driver with the report. However, the error still occured. There was several other drivers that dealt with oracle, sql, sybase ext... The only other driver that appears to be similiar to the original driver (32-bit rpt) is "PDIRDAO.DLL [MS DAO]. Any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Jamie in Canada

What driver is used by unmodified reports? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Hello Ken,

I noticed something interesting today. The driver which is used by the unmodified (32-bit) report is "PDBDAO.DLL [MS DAO]". I tried changing it to "PDIRJET.DLL [MS JET]", and that did change the driver on "refresh", but did not fix seem to fix the problem. I then tried to change it to "PDIRDAO.DLL [MS DAO]", but when I refreshed the report, it didn't change the driver (it stayed as "PDBDAO.DLL [MS DAO]"). Obviously, we should be using the DAO driver, but I can't make it "stick" to the report when I refresh. Any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Jamieson in Canada

If the unmodified report works correctly, take the modifed report, open it in CR 16 bit and change the driver to match the unmodified report's driver. If it already matches, change it to something else and then change it back. Save, close and reopen before trying to run it.

If that doesn't work, I am stumped. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back