Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert 16-bit to 32 -bit VB application

Status
Not open for further replies.

MavrickStl

Programmer
Feb 20, 2001
US
Hi there,

I am new to the VB programming world. Currently I am trying to convert a 16-bit VB application written in VB 4.0 to 32-bit application compatible with WinNT and Win2000. Can someone please outline steps/procedures I can follow to make my life easier ( or do I have to dig in line-by-line to convert the code).

Thanks in advance,

Mav

Hi, You just run the 16bit app in 32bit VB40 and it tells you it will save it in the 32bit format. You may find some of your controls change to picture boxes, but you will still have your code, just put the 32bit control on your form and name it the same as your 16bit version name.

I have exactly the same problem. I know a lot of this conversion has to do with objs.vbx file. The problem I think is with objs.vbx file since its not supported by the 32bit technology. As I understand this file helps to create logically separated objects that can be pulled into or removed from a project to increase or decrease functionality
of programs. So what should I do? Should I get a copy of VB4 and try it out, just like you told above or is there any other trick??

Please help me out.
Thanks so much
Dima Polishchuk.
polishchuk_dmitriy@yahoo.com

What adlucem posted is correct. Especially, finding the 32bit vers of any API calls you make, but essentially, by opening up a 16bit vb4 in the 32bit IDE, it will "convert" where necessary and to the best of it's ability.
--MiggyD

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

can the same be done for an app written in VB3 and how could i open it in 32-bit mode if it is possible?

Biren.K

I have upgraded an application from vb3 to vb4 to vb6, and mostly i had no problem, i just dragged the project file onto the icon for the appropriate vb shortcut on my desktop.
(double clicking on a project file is a world of pain if you have more than one version of vb installed.(thanks microsoft) and finding a long path using 8 bit filenames makes browsing to the file a bit hit and miss too))

The project will be converted, make sure you have a copy saved before you start.

API calls will need to be re written if converting from 16 to 32 bit, if you have any, and this is not so staightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back