Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheiboy

Technical User
May 9, 2003
CA
Someone please help me. I'm trying to set up our datebase in Access 2000, and it's not going smoothly. It keeps telling me "File Not Found" then "The Visual Basic for Applications Project in the databse is corrupt". Any ideas?

If you have access-XP available, perhaps use that as opposed to Access-2000. I've heard of issues in my group using Access-2000 to convert. hthw

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Try loading Access, then go to Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact and Repair and point it at a copy of the file and see if this can salvage it.

John

It's still not working, still getting the same messges. I'm getting desperate. If we upgrade to 2000, I won't be able to get this working. Any other ideas? Unless I create the macros for ALL the commands then redirect, but I'm hoping to get around that somehow.

If you do a search for data recovery services with Google, there are plenty of commercial services that will help you recover the data and code from the MDB file.

John

I'm working on a copy so, I haven't lost any data yet, I'm just trying to get it to work in 2000. I think I'll work on the macros in 97, then take it to 2000, see how that floats. Thanks.

Dear cheiboy,

First, you need to have a good copy of your 'Access97' mdb.

1) Backup your Good Access97 mdb first!!
2) Run Access97, open your access97.mdb, select compact and repair.
3) While running Access97, open a code window, select compile and save all. This needs to work, or the mdb is not good.
4) While still running Access97, open a code window, select Tools>References and make a note of all references. You will need these references or their later version set in your new 2000 mdb.
5) Run Access2000, open your access97.mdb, select Tools>Database Utilities>Convert to current version.
6) The Convert will create a new '2000'.mdb based on the name and directory you told Access to create, so close the 'Access97.mdb' and open this new 'Access2000.mdb' file.
Note, you must close the 97.mdb and open the 2000.mdb at this point!
7) Finally, this is the most important step! In the new 'Access2000.mdb', open up a code window and Select Debug>Compile.

Note: The compile must work completely, if it does not, then check the 'References', that we wrote down in Step 4, to make sure the same (or later version) are selected.

Good Luck,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back