Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conversion from COBOL to C# (See Sharp)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crox

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
NL
Hi,

There are talks about available professional conversions from COBOL to C#.

Can anybody confirm this and say where you can find them?

Regards,

Crox

There is no reason to convert; COBOL programs run faster. It might be better to generate a file for the internet in COBOL and use some other language to display it on the internet. COBOL can write HTML files easily it is just text. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi,

I have not the idea to convert. I am more a COBOL person! But somebody told me that there was such a product on the market. So I am curious and want to know if someone knows whom is offering it....

Regards,

Crox

Crox,

Curiosity kills the cat......

M. BigMag, The Netherlands.
someone@euronet.nl (no kidding!)

A C# conversion from COBOL makes NO Sense. Because Fujitsu has a .NET COBOL compiler - the only place C# lives is in .NET - you can interoperate between C# and COBOL SEAMLESSLY - you can even inherit C# objects from COBOL and COBOL objects from C#. The whole conversion is a silly idea.

Again..... pffff

people say there is a product.

A want to know where, what and how.

Just because I want to know it.

Never having the idea to convert. I know COBOL and not C#.

On the other hand I can imagine that there are C# knowers whom don't want to learn COBOL....

Helas nobody answered the question yet.....

Regards,

Crox

Crox,

why would anybody want to convert beautiful COBOL to GJR (Gates' Java Ripp-off)?
Why indeed would any reasonable person want to have to do anything with it?
Sorry, got carried away there.

Regards,
Ronald.

Suppose you don't know C# and you know there is a beautiful program that you can use and possibly modify .... if it was in COBOL.

Or the other way around.

Why study a new language if you can stay with your own and become an expert in your programming language instead of knowing a little of many languages.

That is only one of the reasons why people want to convert.

Big companies do that all the time. Some of them want to convert all their mainframe COBOL and PL/1 into JAVA.

One of the reasons that people do that is because it is very difficult to let newbees work in the 'old' environments.... They all want to work with Internet, Java, C#, etc. So it can be a management reason to do things like that.

There are many more reasons why people want to do those things.

I don't think that anyone should convert COBOL to anything.
No!
No!
No!
It would be better if some people make others understand that COBOL is a beautiful language which is perfect to learn and understand and it is very smart to know all about it because it means much and nice work for many years.

But this is no text for a COBOL forum, more something for the front-page of several newspapers!

It is the press to blame for the wrong ideas of the newbees.

But still I would like to know about the conversion tools.

Regards,

Crox

Not a professional product but a service that will accomplish this task. Even create an ERD out of your version of Cobol to bring into a C++ environment.

It can be done

Hi,

I came to know that One COBOL compiler, PER COBOL converts cobol programs into JAVA program(Java Beans) and classes so that these can be used as the components for a JAVA application. I don't know the details.

Regards,
cobp

Maybe we have a language issue here. Crox asked about conversion from COBOL to C# and I said - no reason, because the only environment C# lives in is .NET and COBOL can exist in that environment - so there's no reason for such a conversion.

One could better argue a conversion from COBOL to Python - where the environment may or may not be common. Even so, I think we do not yet understand the question.

I agree... I started off using COBOL and now I'm a ColdFusion/Java Developer.

I have always felt that COBOL is a very under-rated language and not given its due.

Imagine, if they come up with specifications to create COBOL-based objects, applications, classes, API ... it would take off and leave the other languages in the dust.

Best,

Christopher

Interpreting text/questions seems to be the hardest thing in the world...... the mainreason for bugs in software? Probably.... just talking a little bit to myself....zzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back