Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion failed because the data value overflowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkillilea

MIS
Dec 7, 2004
US
I am having a problem with inserting data into a table from an OLE DB connection. Something funky is going on behind the scenes with the OLE DB engine and what it sees in the field. I know the data type for my column s/b numeric(12,2) yet the error keeps coming back:

Cannot get the current row value of column "[LinkedServer]..[Schema].[ORTIVH].IVH_DISC_AMT" from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LinkedServer". Conversion failed because the data value overflowed the data type used by the provider.

I tried casting as varchar(max) and that wouldn't work.

I know you can't trim numbers(or maybe you can) but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work b/c it's a data overflow issue.

I get the same error even if I do a insert with case when <=9999 else '0'

What I see with a generic link to this table through Access instead of SQl Server:

I can see the number with Access 1997:

3.53E+11
, or 353,223,500,185.92

And I only see this number with Access 97. In Access 2003 I can NOT see the number because it throws the following error message and puts #Error in the field.

"The decimal fields precision is to small to accept the numeric you attempted to add."

Now that I actually know what the number is that's causing the error message in Sql Server I tried casting as numeric(36,2) and I still get the error message:

Cannot get the current row value of column "[LinkedServer]..[Schema].[ORTIVH].IVH_DISC_AMT" from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LinkedServer". Conversion failed because the data value overflowed the data type used by the provider.

Anyone have a clue what I could do to get around/fix this problem with eliminating the column? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LNBruno - I'm trying to use openrowset as well as run off of a new linked server.

gmmastros - I know we recently installed SP2 so here is the result of that query:
9.00.3050.00 SP2

I dropped my linked server and that didn't work.

I followed LNBruno's link to the MDX fix for MSOLAP and selected "Allow inprocess" to no avail with the following types of queries: openrowset and openquery.

I searched MSDN, MS Help and Support and all over Google with every possible search option. NO ONE has a solution for this. Is there a way to notify Microsoft of the problem so they can publish a fix for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back