Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converging Sun ONE and Windows AD - LDAP -

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknoguy

Technical User
Feb 1, 2001
CA
Im planning on converging sun ONE and AD. I heard from a few unix administrators that this is very difficult task. does anyone have any good reference sites? or recommend any book on this topic. i browsed on the net for this topic but im finding it difficult to get info on this topic.

thanks.

Hello,

I don't know too much about directory services, but I think that there are two possible solutions for this problem:

1.- Synchronization between two sources. This way you'll have the information duplicated, just against the purpose of the directory services. And probably it will modify the flow or the proccess of the data manipulation.

2.- Metadirectory. A metadirectory is something like a general view of different directories (LDAP, AD, other directories or databases). I think it uses connectors between the main server (join engine) and the existent directories to ask for the info they contain and then generate a global LDAP view. That is, the different sources of information are still there, but you have a general view and it looks like if you only have a directory server.

I don't know how to implement these services, but maybe you can check Sun's documentation on metadirectory.

Possible tips you can search on the net are: ldap + active directory + synchronization, PAM + Active Directory, metadirectory, LDAP + AD connectors, ....

Bye,

jmiturbe

Soon avalaible with Sun One Directory Server 5.2, you will have for free a synchronisation option that works with A.D.

Sun already have a synchro tool for A.D. but It does not synchronize password because of MS propiatary encryption, but Sun says it will do it by June 2003. If you can wait, it may be worth it. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back