Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling width of a button

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkernen

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
US
I'm using this code to right align a button:
Code:
<div align=&quot;right&quot;><input type=&quot;button&quot; name=&quot;&quot; value=&quot;Long Menu Name&quot; class=&quot;button&quot; onClick=&quot;location='menu.htm';&quot;></div>
The button works fine, but how can I customize the width?
It automatically adds 1/2&quot; of gray space on both ends of the button name (value), making the button 1&quot; wider than it needs to be. My available width is limited, so I need to trim this wasted space, if possible. Thanks!

i would use a style:

&quot;><input type=&quot;button&quot; name=&quot;&quot; value=&quot;Long Menu Name&quot; class=&quot;button&quot; onClick=&quot;location='menu.htm';&quot; style=&quot;width:50px&quot;> jaredn@eae.net -

Thanks jaredn, using an inline style works great. Do you know if there's a way to create a style in a linked style sheet that will automatically adjust the width depending on the name of the button (value)?

Sure, save the following text in a filename.css file:

button.b1 {
width:200px;
background : Aqua;
border : thick groove Black;
}
button.b2 {
width:300px;
background : red;
border : thick groove Black;
}
button.b3 {
width:400px;
background : green;
border : thin solid Black;
}

Then call the filename.css file using link command:
<LINK REL=&quot;stylesheet&quot; TYPE=&quot;text/css&quot; HREF=&quot;filename.css&quot;>

Or just add it to the top of the HTML page between <style> tags. Then call the classes directly

<input type=&quot;button&quot; class=&quot;b1&quot;>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; class=&quot;b2&quot;>
<input type=&quot;button&quot; class=&quot;b3&quot;> » » » » » »
Mike Barone
FREE and Pro CGI/Perl Scripts

FREE Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back